Mason Jar Wall Planter

***I have added a new post about my wall planter that answers a lot of the questions I have been getting.****

I have been canning peaches so I had mason jars on the brain. I have seen several versions of this idea. I have seen them used on coat racks, for bathroom stuff and for craft supplies. So since I was needing another nature decor item for my hallway I thought, why not use them as planters??? I hung then in my hallway.

mason jar planter board 747x1024 Mason Jar Wall PlanterI got the houseplants at Wal-Mart on clearance. I made sure and picked planted that were meant for medium light and that didn’t grow super fast. I don’t want to have to transplant them for awhile. They were a little more than a dollar a piece. I bought a small bag of potting soil too. The pipe clamp things came in a 2 pack for $2 and change. I already had the old board in my wood pile. So this project was less than $20.00.

side view mason planter 682x1024 Mason Jar Wall Planter

I have always wanted to put a shelf or something on this wall but since it is the hallway and there is a lot of traffic, I was worried thing would get bumped and fall off.

mason jar planter 777x1024 Mason Jar Wall Planter

I screwed the clamps to the board first. Then I screwed the board to the wall. And while I held the jar in place my hubby tightened the clamp. Those babies aren’t going anywhere!

mason jar board 682x1024 Mason Jar Wall Planter

mason jar planter board 747x1024 Mason Jar Wall PlanterNow, I am notorious for killing house plants. I ADORE houseplants. I just can’t keep them alive for long. So pray for these little guys. I don’t want to have to slowly replace them with plastic ones :( Hopefully the black rocks in the bottom will be enough drainage for them.

Pin It

Comments

• rebecca says

this will not work, but still a great idea with some adjustments. herbs need about 3 hrs direct sun/not too much more and there is no drainage (rocks won’t help). Keep the set up: empty the jars, fill with water, take fresh clippings of herb you are going to use soon for cooking (they’ll last longer than in the fridge) OR replace the jars with pots and grow african violets which do great inside :) Still a great idea and looks really cute!!!

• Geena says

So I haven’t tried it yet, but a friend of mine said that in addition to using rocks at the bottom, a thin layer of ground up charcoal between the rocks and soil helps to control mold and bacteria growth….worth giving it a shot! :)

• tiffany says

it does work! :) i made one for herbs and put it on my porch and it did just fine all summer and into the fall. I watered carefully, and did add rocks at the bottom. The herbs in the jars did as well as the herbs in my containers and herb spiral and it was nice to have them right outside my front door!

• Theresa says

This will and can work with rocks and careful watering. I have done this type of growing in non draining pots.You add rock and gravel…water carefully. I have several indoor plants that have thrived for a long time and doubled in size. You MUST make sure they have proper lighting. I am making this and putting it right between 2 windows in my kitchen. I am sure they will do fine, as others have in the past. Don’t say it won’t work until you’ve tried it all :D

• Bridget says

Yes, it looks wonderful, but does need a little adjustment. At least, add some gravel into the bottom of the jars so they can have a little drainage. Be careful not to overwater.
      Also, I hope you have a lot of light in your hallway, or they will not thrive.
      GREAT idea, though! :-)

LOVE this idea. It would make a wall so fresh! I think I want to make one of these for my kitchen – and plant herbs! Pretty and practical :o) Thanks for sharing and being so inspiring!

I could see the jars filled with other things – marbles or colorful plastic toys or small balls of yarn – you could change it each season!

even beans of different colors, or jelly beans, candy corn,

I am sure there are a zillion ideas

• Shannon Williams says

You just gave me an amazing idea for a head board!!!! Same set up — put with light colored or translucent glass beads with a flameless candle inside and on either side of the jars put in a sliver coat hanger and hang a black and white picture in a black frame….

• Sue J says

Saw jars with glow in the dark paint on the inside. And clear marbles. That would look cool at night…but would the light keep you awake? Or in the bathroom?

3. Missy says

Cute! I think I might try this for herbs! As Monica pointed out there isn’t any drainage, so watch out for mold. An inch or so of gravel or small stones at the bottom would help though!

4. Michelle says

I’ve been watching your site for a while now. I love everything you do! I’ve been wanting to plant some mint in my house for a while now, and this gave me some great ideas! Thanks! I look forward to your hallway reveal.

5. Stacy says

The only plants I have ever kept alive are 2 ivy plants in my kitchen. I am going on 4 years (knock on wood) and they are in planters that have zero drainage. They key is not not over water and to let it get completely dry before watering again. I only water my ivy plant every 2 or 3 weeks. So far so good.

6. Bethany says

This idea is adorable!!! I love all the different things mason jars can be used for. Thanks for sharing such a great idea and good luck with your little plants!

I saw it here first, but wouldn’t be surprised to find it on a page in PB or Antrho or the likes of. What a great idea. Once the roots start spreading out, it will be even more interesting (even educational for the little ones).
    I don’t think mold is any concern, you can SEE if it is wet or
    dry, takes the guess work out of when to water! love it!

Oh my gosh I LOVE this!! I am so doing this in my kitchen! I have the perfect wall and have always wanted to do some herbs. Thanks for the inspiration!

this is an awesome idea! just had to pin it! great photos too. i shared it with a friend who wants to have mason jars at her wedding. FYI – I came over via your submission to The Shabby Nest’s link party. Those link parties really do work sometimes. :)

10. Esther says

Wow! I made some just like these early this spring after finding a large amount of Mason jars at DI. Mine have been growing beautiful little wildflowers this summer on my kitchen wall. But, I think when they die off this fall I will swap them out for herbs! (Oh, and i’ve never had any mold issues!)

I love this idea!!! I know the perfect place where something like this could go in my kitchen too.

It could also be cute to plant succulents in the jars instead of herbs – I think they tend to be a bit more hardy and they would still be neat and have visual intrest.

Such a great idea!

• says

Kate, I save all of my pasta jars and that’s what I’m going to use. Also, you can lightly paint or glaze the jars if there’s writing or images on them (under the paper) that you don’t want to see, but typically the jars are pretty basic. I can’t wait to do mine!!!

This is such a great idea! I’ve been wanting to make an indoor herb garden but have to Great Danes and was afraid they would be able to reach the plants any where I placed them. I think I may borrow this idea. Feel free to stop by my link party any time and show off your great ideas http://stirizsisters.blogspot.com/

Hi Stacy,

Great idea and well presented. Those ‘pipe lamp things’ we call jubilee clips in the UK – and I’ve often wondered what use the really big ones really are? Well now I’ve got my answer. Great site, cool ideas, and well presented.

Many thanks,

Julian

I’ve seen takes on the mason jar holders, just not for plants/herbs. I love it! Thanks for sharing….I’ll credit you whenever I get to do this awesome project! (If you only knew how long I’ve wanted to actually grow my own herbs… lol)

15. Trisha says

These are really cute. If the plants die, you could paint or use tissue paper or (even leave clear)on the jars and put in battery operated tea lights or candles. JoANNs has really cute realistic looking battery operated candles.

16. Emily S. says

Another idea would be to intersperse some mason jars with actual canned items. Of course, that idea only works if you can or have canned items from a friend.

17. Stephanie says

Adoralbe! You definitely need rocks in the bottom and have to under-water. You could also use these as holders for kitchen tools. I love you blog!

18. donna says

I think this is a great idea! I live in a small space and have not been able to come up with and idea myself for herbs! And this will be cheerful in the winter too!

I really love this and I was going to use them in place of window boxes. I went to Lowes and the garden guy said that the plants would die because or root rot. I read some of the comments and I like the idea of rocks in the bottom. I think I will also try a small tube inserted before putting in dirt. This might help bring air to the bottom. Thanks for such a cute idea!!

20. Anah says

I absolutely LOVE this!! I’m so going to do it! Being a gardener, I was also wondering about the lack of drainage. So if you find that you do need a drain hole, this is a great tutorial for how it could be done. (Probably, since I haven’t drilled mason jars, but I bet the principle is the same.) It’s from one of my fav. websites (and is not mine), so have fun perusing it, if you want to and haven’t already. :) http://vintagerevivals.blogspot.com/2010/10/crafting-with-starswinning-tutorial.html Thanks again for this fabulous idea, I really am going to use it! :)

21. Anah says

Okay, so I just noticed on Vintage Revivals, that you’re one of Mandi’s BBFFs. Too funny. Let us know how it goes if you decide to try the drilling mason jars thing. We’re moving soon, so I don’t get to try it now. :( But I definitely will as soon as we’re settled. I’m totally going to go check out the rest of your site now. Happy Day! :)

Wonderful idea! I want to make a vertical one to go inside a couple of my window frames. They’re about 5 inches deep, just plain sheet rock. It would solve so a couple of problems, it would keep the plants in the window near the light, but off the window sill where my cats like to lounge!
    Thanks!
    Jan

23. dylan says

Great idea, however. What about drainage? Plants need to be able to drain the run off, other wise they will get stem rot and then you will have dead plants. Something to consider.?

24. Emily says

This is the coolest idea! I live in a tiny apartment with no outdoor space and not a ton of sunlight (geez, that sounds depressing – it’s really not!), so I made one of these, planted herbs in it, and put it on the wall under my kitchen cabinets with a grow light mounted under the cabinet above it. It’s really cute, now I just hope I can manage not to kill them. Thanks so much for the idea!

Totally love this idea!! However, I thought I would wait til you had it up for a bit before finding out if you are as happy with it as you were when you first did it. How are the plants making out in the jars? Is there enough light in the hallway? Would you do anything differently? I was wondering is the plants are getting water logged since there’s no drainage. I so want to do this!!

The look of this project IS great. But have you have any problems with over watering plants? Everybody suggest do have a drain for ANY plants. I really would LOVE to hear your experience on this/

27. kristiface says

If you still want to keep the plant idea, you might try doing it as a little wall/mason jar terrarium. Those are supposed to be pretty easy to keep up, and there are tons of tutorials on line for building a little terrarium. You could keep the mason jar/wall set up and there will be less watering and no drainage issue to be concerned with!

Otherwise, great idea! I’m thinking I’ll adapt this for my bathroom, which needs something cute and botanical.

28. Caitlin says

You can add some pretty stones to the bottom of the jars for help with drainage. What a wonderful way to grow herbs. Even using fake flowers and moss would look beautiful.

Just wanted to let you know that I love this idea! Liked it so much that I pinned it on Pinterest and posted it on my blog post that shared a few of my favorites.

30. Natasha says

LOVE this idea! We tried to make this at home.. but one problem.. how did you get the adjustable pipe clamps secured to the wood board? We tried hammering a nail through the metal but no go. My roommate and I are worried we’ll ruin the power drill (which isn’t ours) if we try drilling through the metal to afix it to the wood. Suggestions?

• Leah says

We had the same problem, so what we did was put the screws directly on top and bottom of the clamps, using large washers on each screw to “hold” the clamp in place against the wood. This way we didnt have to drill through the metal. We’ve had this project up for months and they’re still secure even with heavy rocks in the bottom.

The plants on the other hand have been very difficult to keep alive. We’ve had many of them die even with rocks in the bottom. The herbs that fared the best were 1) Mint 2) Rosemary and 3) Peppers (jalapeño habanero etc.). More delicate plants like cilantro and parsley didn’t do well at all.

31. Jenny says

How in the world did you screw the hose clamps onto the wood? I’ve tried everything I can think of, and nothing will work. What is your trick?

I like the idea but I’m not sure how well it works for plants. Roots generally don’t like light so I’m not sure exactly how well it works but that’s a cool form of storage. I could see it for holding assorted shapes of pasta or beads for something like that

33. Heather Dee says

LOVE this! I had been considering using the exact materials to make hanging cups for bathroom storage…we have a cubby above the toilet in my daughters’ bathroom, the shelves are too narrow for clumsy little girls, everything ends up in the toilet! I wondered if the vent clamps would work, I am dying to try it now!! I think I will use plastic tumblers in mine tho ;)

34. Lauren M says

This is adorable! They would look cute with succulents in them as well (and those would be much easier to take care of… low maintenance)!

35. Jenni says

Hi! I’d really like to make something like this for my sister-in-law for Christmas, but I don’t know how to attach the clamps to the board. Can you walk me through that a little bit? I’d really appreciate it! Love love love your blog!

I pinned your picture of these lovely planters. I clicked on the site and it went to camilllestyle.com but somebody wrote me a comment telling me the original place the photo came from was here. I’m so glad she did. i am a follower and fan of yours. i posted your pin as an inspiration to one of my projects. Thank you for the wonderful idea.

Holly @ Down to Earth Style

• Erica says

I had made a very similar planter like yours and I have a solution to the drainage problem. You will need a small saucer (slightly larger in diameter than your jar), a machine screw, 2 nuts to fit the screw, and 4 rubber washers. You will also need to get a diamond tipped drill bit the same size or slightly larger than the diameter of the machine screw(available at any hardware store) to drill glass. A regular power drill will do the job.
      Drill 4 holes of the bottom of your jar (one in the center, and three “evenly” dispersed around the bottom) and one the center of the saucer. Put a washer on the screw, then put the screw through the saucer (the head of the screw should be on the bottom side of the saucer). Put another washer onto the bolt. Now thread the nut down the bolt to the plate. It doesn’t have to be super tight. Using your fingers to screw it on will be good enough. It just needs to be tight enough to make a watertight seal with the rubber washer, but if you tighten it too much it will break your saucer. Now put on another washer. Then put the bolt through the bottom of the jar. Add the last washer and then tighten the last nut onto the bolt down to the jar. Again, this does not have to be super tight. And it does not have to have a water tight seal like the saucer did.

Now you have a suspended drip plate and drainage holes! Just don’t over water the jars because your saucer will run over! Fill with some charcoal, pebbles and soil (as usual) and plant to your hearts content! I sell these in my little shop in my hometown and I haven’t had a complaint yet!

37. Deebi27 says

Love this…I am thinking in the kitchen need a window and make those plants herbs! I am passing this off to my daughter is getting ready to close on a home! Thanks!

38. Dani F says

This was such a cute looking project, I collected all of the things for it, and then realized that I don’t know how you attached the metal clamp to the board. Any chance you could talk me through it?

I got a scrap piece of wood and held the clamp over it. I got a nail and hammered through one of the slats. (the clamps have a small section with all these little slots) The nail going through it opened up the slot enough that I was able to screw the screw through it. I did 2 hole per clamp. If you only do one, then it will move. I hope that helps! I

39. Shelley says

It’s true that the plants might struggle, but I can imagine 4 air ferns and couple tea lights to break up the rows.

I love this. We have more mason jars than I know what to do with. Now I know what I can do with some of them. And I know right where I’m going to put them!!! Thanks for the idea!

41. KellyH says

I just found this post via Pinterest. I was wondering how the plants turned out. Did they live/grow ok for you in the jars?

KellyH

42. Heather says

It does need a tiny drain hole at least…I would recommend adding a little shelf of wood under the jars with the jars lids to catch the water that drips out. It can be easily dumped out, but all plants need drainage. Otherwise they’re sitting in their own waste….that’s probably one of the reasons your houseplants die. No offense, it’s a great idea I may still and put right under a window sill…but need holes. Slowly and surely with a drill and some water and it’s fine. Oh the usefulness of the internet.

43. Rachelle Sapp says

thanks for this idea! I am an active member in the FFA (future farmers of America)and i and going to do this as a topic for a contest with my twin sister! the contest is called Ornamental Horticulture Demonstrations! i found this picture on Pinterest.com and thought it would be perfect! so we are going to compete and i will let you know how we do! thanks for sharing such an amazing idea! very rustic and vibrant!!! :) love it thanks again

In theory this is a good idea but I would be concerned about the plants roots being able to breathe… I think that it looks like mold waiting to happen… However, it is pretty…

Do you know what I think would grow well in that type of environment is watercress or any other type of plant that lives in a very moist environment in nature… You could also consider air-plants or cactus, and just be careful about not over watering…

you are just the person i wanted to meet…. what a wonderful talent you have and an inspiration you are…can’t wait to read more… my sister sent this to me, and i think i’m going to be hooked on this more than Pinterest!
    thank you!

46. Maureen says

I realize you actually posted this last summer even though I only found it today. I love the idea, but I wondered if they grew well in the glass over time? You mentioned that you have a blak thumb, as do I, so I figured I would ask how it worked out in the long run. That’s in advance fr letting me know!

Love your blog and am now following!

This is a fantastic idea. I think it would be great for herbs too. I would agree with other readers about adding some drainage though, that was one of my first thoughts when you said you have a hard time keeping plants alive :)

Great ideas!! Though my only uncertainty is that very often there are holes at the bottom of all garden pots to allow excessive water run through so the roots won’t be damaged and get rotten. I don’t think that we can do the same with glass jars, so perhaps we need to very careful with how much we water?!

49. Sherry says

Try a variation of this project, by using Colored Sand sold by Crayola crayons. It comes in many colors and can be added with different layers and patterns when you pour the sand into the jars, then add Silk Greenery or Silk Flowers, or Dried flowers is very beautiful if you do not have a green-thumb or much light for live plants. I am doing both !
    Let the kids help!

50. Shannan says

wait, so I’m trying this right now, and I’m having a hell of a time screwing the clamps to the board- did you punch holes in them first? or do I have the wrong type of screw? wtf. hahaha. :) Great project.

• says

I mentioned this in the post but I hammered a nail through the little slits before to bend them open a bit. I put a scrap piece of wood under so the nail had something to go into. Once it was opened up a bit the screw went right in. :)

I love this idea! I saw a few other readers suggest adding a layer of rock and charcoal to the bottom. That would help keep the plants alive longer, no doubt. I just wanted to add that when they say charcoal, they don’t mean the kind you buy at the grocery store for grilling out. Grilling charcoal is often infused with lighter fluid and other chemicals that your plants will suffer from. Instead, go to your local garden center and pick up a bag of horticultural charcoal. It should be less than $5 a bag. I add a layer to all my terrariums and have never had mold problems. Growing plants in jars with no drainage is not a new idea and it is possible to do. That being said, some plants will do better in these kinds of containers than others. If your herbs can’t handle the moisture, there are many number of plants that will do just fine.

Keep up the good work, I really love this idea!

52. Ernesto says

Estéticamente muy lindas, pero….. No tienen drenaje y el exceso de agua mata las plantas (por falta de oxígeno en las raíces). Los frascos son transparentes y con la luz formarán hongos, Deberías pintarlos de negro o cubrirlos con nylon negro. Pero la decoración se perdería.

53. Theo says

I tried planting some green plants in mason jars last year, they were dying in a few weeks. :( had to move them to pots to save them. (1/4 died completely)

It looked really cool though, and might work with smaller plants such as herbs. :)

54. christ says

Oh my god!! i really love what you do, and even i don’t really get everything you said (i’m french, sorry!!) yours photos speak so lovely! your website is a really fresh air and so inspiring (i don’t know if i use the good word…)! thank you for thoses good ideas!!!

55. Edita says

This is a brilliant idea. I love how simple and home-y it looks. It can be made even more useful when you put herbs in the planter. I think the mason jars here would look terrific as planters too.

56. GM says

I am trying to make this and I have all the pieces but I’m not understanding how you are supposed to screw the clamps to the wood. The clamp is made of steel. I saw another blog that states to just keep the clamp in place by screwing one above and one below but that seems so unstable to me. Help, anyone?

I had to find this post to see how you did it. I mounted clamps to my porch railing ( I put cans in them to start seeds ) and I had the HARDEST time getting screws through them! I ended up using picture hanging nails because they were thin enough to fit through the spaces. How did you mount them? BTW, I love the look :-)

58. Sarah says

I used this idea on the wall on my verandah but did it somewhat differently. I drilled holes in the bottom of each jar for drainage, then put decorative coloured rocks on the bottom before adding the soil. I also painted the clamps green which made them look really nice in the end. It looks really nice and my plants are thriving!

59. Michelle says

You could try large gravel in the bottom of the jar with an old screen separating the soil from it. Then, place some terrarium moss on the soil with the plants/herbs. Mist, don’t water, and only when the moss is dry.

It’s cute, but plants need air circulation in the roots – and drainage is a must. I really don’t see how these plants could survive for long. This would be a great way to grow epiphytes. There are many that would work. Just replace the soil with moss or bark, mist them when needed and you’ve have fuss-free plants that might actually survive.

61. Fiona says

Level of difficulty: HARD. At least for my husband and I it was. We could not get screws the go through the pipe clamps, but oh how we tried. We tried screws, nails, pliers, screwdrivers, nothing at all would penetrate the slits in that clamp.So, our solution was to buy some mending plates and screw them onto the board vertically with the clamp in between the holes that are screwed down. We got two clamps securely fastened to the board, i was ecstatic! But then on the third clamp the screws kept messing up (yes i am blaming the screws) and we wound up with three screws broken off into the wood. Now its late and we’re tired and we’re giving this as a christmas gift tomorrow, so hubby drove across town to a friends house to hack off the ugly end of the board. We’re going to have a two jar planter, apparently. So, awesome idea, but definitely wasnt easy peasy for us. We will definitely try it again now that we have figured out the mending plate trick.

62. Queenmamaof3 says

I love this idea! I’m tired of the brimming junk drawer, so I’m seeing something similar on my wall with scissors and pencils and maybe a hook for the tape dispenser. I might still put some colorful stones in the bottom to make it more decorative.

63. P. says

I too love this idea but not for plants. I’m going to make one for my kitchen utencils near my stove. And the great thing too is you just unscrew to wash them.

64. Crystal says

So, can you explain how you screwed the pipe clamps too the board? I can’t figure that part ut. thanks!

I put the clamp on a scrap piece of wood and then hammered a nail through the slit to force it to widen and open up more. I chose a nail that was roughly the same size as the screws I would be using to make sure the opening would work for the screws.

1. [...] The thoughts  that preceded the project  showed here occurred must certain in the head of a good housewife. The idea of having fresh herbs for a healthy cooking , especially if you don’t have a garden, made this woman to take several  Mason jars and use them as a planter. In the lack of space these planters were hanged on the wall. Probably without knowing this woman revolutionized the idea of heaving fresh ingredients  at hand. Besides that, the arrangement looks really good.{found on notjustahousewife}. [...]

2. [...] I recently bought some indoor plants.  That may not seem like a big deal, but I am a plant serial killer.  These have made it for a few weeks now, and they’re still healthy, which is a miracle.  If this continues, I might get confident enough to try this Mason Jar Wall Planter from Not Just a Housewife. [...]

3. [...] Is there no end to things you can do with a mason jar? We’ve already expressed our love for mason jar chandeliers, now we’re thinking of going green and upcycling them into a wall planter, à la Not Just a Housewife. [...]

4. [...] For the super crafty, the next step is to build a stylish repurposed Mason jar planter holder. If you’ve got a lot of wall space, this can be quite the way to transform a well-lit room. This can be done with old pieces of wood or metal, an empty drawer, just to name a few ideas. Check out this fun wall planter tutorial from Not Just a  Housewife. [...]

5. [...] Source: Not JUST a Housewife 9. Grow plants in mason jars and hang them on the wall. THIS IS MY FAVORITE IDEA for growing plants in small spaces. So cool!  This seems to be particularly good for growing herbs.  I think this would work well on a wall indoors, next to a window. And it would make the apartment smell so fresh! [...]

6. [...] It seems no DIY list is complete these days without a mason jar project, so here it is — mason jar wall planters. I love the look, but there is no drainage so you would have to have a substantial amount of something at the bottom, and perhaps a lot of vermiculite in the soil, and be careful not to overwater. If you find mason jars with holes, let me know. Instructions at Not Just a Housewife [...]

7. […] The thoughts  that preceded the project  showed here occurred must certain in the head of a good housewife. The idea of having fresh herbs for a healthy cooking , especially if you don’t have a garden, made this woman to take several  Mason jars and use them as a planter. In the lack of space these planters were hanged on the wall. Probably without knowing this woman revolutionized the idea of heaving fresh ingredients  at hand. Besides that, the arrangement looks really good.{found on notjustahousewife}. […]

8. […] Inspired by the Spice Rack these planters placement assure a very interesting decorative element as well as utility. In these jar planters you won’t find any flowers, but fresh spices and herbs for a natural cooking. Clear your kitchen counter and keep your herbs, fresh in the air. This can actually mean a lot for those who don’t have a garden or plenty of space on the terrace or balcony, not to mention the fact that even small pots can cluster countertops and you might not have the necessary table space for the actual cooking. What a great idea, I must put it into practice someday.{found on housewife}. […]

9. […] is also a plus. DIY Show Off This was done inside but you could also do this garden outside. Not Just a Housewife Here is another vertical garden idea with individual pots. Brooklyn Limestone Got a washtub […]