Cardboard Cars for a Homemade Drive-In Theater

When I posted about these cardboard cars originally it was for a giveaway. I had not planned on doing a tutorial. But when I saw how many times it had been pinned and when I was getting emails asking how I made them, I decided to take a second and show you :)

waiting for the movie 682x1024 Cardboard Cars for a Homemade Drive In Theater

cardboard cars for movie 1024x555 Cardboard Cars for a Homemade Drive In Theater

Car for drive in movie 1024x582 Cardboard Cars for a Homemade Drive In Theater

We made these cars back in May and they are still in mint condition. THAT is saying something when I have 4 little boys and they have been in the play room this whole time.  It is all because instead of just painting them, I covered them in
colorful duct tape.

I figured if I was going to go to all the effort of making them, I wanted them to hold up longer than one movie.

car tutorial 1024x682 Cardboard Cars for a Homemade Drive In Theater

They were flattened so I folded and taped them together.

car duct tape 1024x918 Cardboard Cars for a Homemade Drive In Theater

The I just started going around and around with the
Scotch Duct Tape

I made sure to start and stop at the same place so I had one seam. This way it looked much cleaner.

The yellow car (or should I say bus) has a shoe box that has been covered in tape on the front. It ended up being a great place for my 2 year old to set his popcorn and I am thinking of added them to the other cars as well.

I was amazed at how much more durable the duct tape made them!

car wheels 1024x682 Cardboard Cars for a Homemade Drive In Theater

Using black party plates would have been easier and they would have been smaller and probably looked better. But I believe in using what you have on hand so I happened to have regular paper plates and black spray paint.

I attached the wheels using regular brass brads. That way they could really turn.

watching movie 3M projector 1024x682 Cardboard Cars for a Homemade Drive In Theater

It is funny to me that the simple things and sometimes the things you do on a whim, become so popular with your kids and create such awesome memories.

duct tape Cardboard Cars for a Homemade Drive In TheaterThis post is a collaboration with Scotch Colors and Patterns Duct Tape.  Take the Style that Sticks quiz to find your personal style and for the chance to win free samples.

Comments

Those are so much fun! I wish I had seen this last week. We borrowed a projector to have a movie night and my son would have loved this!

This is such a fun idea! There’s one other thing you could do to make those boxes even sturdier. Buy lots of Elmers School Glue while it’s on sale at Walmart during back to school sales coming up. Spread glue all over the inside of each flap and glue it to the inside of the box. I usually do it one side at a time: glue one flap, lay that side against the floor & put some heavy cans inside on the flap for a half hour or so, then move on to the next flap. After they’re all done, let dry overnight before using. And if you can still pull the bottom flaps up enough – spread some glue there, too. You’ll be amazed how strong that makes those boxes.

And here’s one more use for all that white glue you’re going to get, that your boys will LOVE: http://www.theidearoom.net/2009/07/make-glow-in-dark-slime.html

Those cars are by far the CUTEST things I have seen in a long time! I got such a kick out of this post. I wish I had small kids to make them for. Wonderfully creative!

4. Peg Odenthal says

Not sure what i like better .. picture of 4 boys sitting quietly together or those great vehicles they are in!

5. MaryAnn says

What a darling idea. . . I am a pre-school teacher and this would be so fun to do with the kids and then have a movie day. . . So going to use this. Thanks.

6. Pam the Goatherd says

This is definitely going in my “stuff to do with my future grandkids” file! And I want ALL the colors of duct tape! Such fun!

I’m seeing your images on Pinterest and Facebook with the watermark cut off :-( Trying to link people back to your page when I can, this is fabulous!

8. Teresa says

Why is there no Pinterest link at the end of your post? You mentioned Pinterest and I would like to pin it to my board.

Is there some other blog posts associated with this particular one?
    We would prefer to research more info on this particular article!
    !!! I really really like the blogposts, nevertheless I would like a
    good deal more help and advice concerning internet tv
    usb as seen on tv. Thanks for the tips!!!

My brother recommended I might like this blog.
    He was totally right. This post actually made my day.
    You can not imagine just how much time I had spent ffor this info!
    Thanks!

Thanks for this post! I found you on pinterest and did this with my little 3 year old boy yesterday and then we watched the Disney Movie ” Cars” from his car! ha He loved it!

I would like to thank you for the efforts you’ve put in penning this website.

I am hoping to view the same high-grade blog posts by you later on
    as well. In fact, your creative writing abilities has inspired me to get my
    very own website now ;)

13. Kerry says

I love love love this idea. Just think..How much did all that duct tape cost for one car let alone 4 cars for my grandkids.?

1. […] Seating: Forget the couches; show your kids how much fun movie night at home can be by pulling out sleeping bags and pillows or create a homemade drive-in. Collect ticket stubs, get out your flashlight and usher them to their sleeping seats for a real movie theater experience. While they’re camping out with their favorite movie and stuffed animal, you’ll be able to enjoy prime real estate on your favorite couch. […]