I worked with Glidden Paint for this fun project. I was compensated for my time working on this project but the ideas, tips, and thoughts are all mine!
Remember when I was debating on which color to paint the metal card catalogs I had in my garage? I finally decided on NAVY! Rich Navy from Glidden Paint to be exact :) And I could not be more happy with the result. If I could marry a piece of furniture, this guy and I would be engaged right now.
In case you missed the last post, this is how they started out.
I painted them and built a base for them. It is now the perfect bedside table for my future new bedroom.
Let’s break down how I transformed the card catalog drawers.
To build the base, I used 1×1. I measured the height of the three card catalogs stacked up and then figured out how tall the base needed to be. As a general rule, a bedside table should be the same height as your mattress.
I nailed the mitered pieces together to form the top part of the base. I mitered them because I didn’t want to see any seams. The ends of boards will stain darker that the other parts of the board. I wanted the stain to be even.
Then I nailed the legs together. I did butt joints because the ends do not show in this case (they are facing the floor) and I thought it would be stronger.
I puttied the holes in both the top part and the legs. Then I SCREWED the top to the legs. I wanted it to be as sturdy as possible. I sanded it smooth once the putty was dry and then stained it with Minwax® Dark Walnut.
Before painting the card catalog, I sanded it with a fine grit sandpaper.
I wiped the dust off with wet paper towels and then when it was dry, I taped off all the handles.
For best results if you are painting metal, use a good primer that will really bond with the surface like Gripper primer from Glidden Paint. Then when the primer has had enough time to dry, paint it the color you want. Rich Navy that I used is from the new simplified color pallette Glidden Paint has created.
I used my HomeRight paint sprayer to get a smooth even finish.
I mean, seriously? Look at the finish!
As of right now each catalog drawer is connected to each other with an interlocking system. But if you lift and jiggle each one, you can take them apart. I am thinking of using rivets to connect them permanently. The catalogs are connected to the base with screws. There were holes in each corner that little rubber feet were in. I didn’t need the rubber feet anymore so I took them out and used their hole for the screw.
To be honest I have no idea where to put this until I get enough money to finish our bedroom in the basement. But where ever I put it in the time being, it will look fabulous.
I have been sponsored by the Glidden® brand paint for PPG to write this post but the thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.
You will also like: