Holiday Tablescapes {Thanksgiving &Christmas}

I have a confession to make. I have never done a tablescape before. A nice dinner at our house consists of non-paper plates and putting some candles in the middle of the table. I guess that is what I get for living with 5 boys :) So when Wayfair contacted me about doing a tablescape challenge I was really excited!

fall tablescape wayfair2 edited 1 1024x682 Holiday Tablescapes {Thanksgiving &Christmas}

PinExt Holiday Tablescapes {Thanksgiving &Christmas}

The way it worked was that I was sent a list of a dozen or so items and I was suppose to pick 5 of them to include in the tablescape. Here are the items I picked.

wayfair1 Holiday Tablescapes {Thanksgiving &Christmas}(3) Tablecraft Cake Stands, Lenox French Perle plates in white, and a David Shaw silver platter

fall table setting 1024x711 Holiday Tablescapes {Thanksgiving &Christmas}

I was tempted to rush out and buy new decor items, ribbons, etc. But them I realized that it just wouldn’t be “me” if you know what I mean. I like simple. I like rustic. And I like to reuse items I already have and incorporate nature.

Remeber when my tree fell over during a terrible wind storm this summer? I was devastated and also determined to use it for some projects so it would not be a total waste. Parts of the trunk work perfectly under the cake stands to give it texture and added height.

table scape close up 1024x682 Holiday Tablescapes {Thanksgiving &Christmas}

tablescape acorns 682x1024 Holiday Tablescapes {Thanksgiving &Christmas}

Fall is the perfect time to bring in nature!

I had so much fun pulling together the fall look that I decided to go ahead and do a Christmas table as well. With just a few changes it became a whole new look.

christmas wayfair tablescape edited 1 1024x682 Holiday Tablescapes {Thanksgiving &Christmas}

christmas tablescape 1024x717 Holiday Tablescapes {Thanksgiving &Christmas}

Not only did decorating for Christmas really throw my kids off, but they kept asking when I would be done so they could eat the cake :)

christmas cake 1024x738 Holiday Tablescapes {Thanksgiving &Christmas}

christmas tablescape wood candles 668x1024 Holiday Tablescapes {Thanksgiving &Christmas}

These wood candle holders are also made from the fallen tree. I used a 1 1/2 inch bore bit to hollow the log out enough to stick the candle in it. I love the contrast of the rustic candles on the shiny new platter.

christmas table setting 682x1024 Holiday Tablescapes {Thanksgiving &Christmas}

How much do you LOVE these plates? These plates are my FAVORITE.  I think they are perfect for any occasion and can be dressed up or down. I am so in love with them. I never got china for my wedding. My dad had passed away a few years before and things were tight. I have never been sad that I didn’t have nice plates until now. I think I might need to save up and get the whole set!!!

wayfair plate edited 1 1024x682 Holiday Tablescapes {Thanksgiving &Christmas}

So are you the type of person who loves to go all out for holiday tables? I wasn’t in the past but I think I just became one……

PinExt Holiday Tablescapes {Thanksgiving &Christmas}

Comments

1. Katie says

I like a pretty table but I’m a paper plate kind of girl, especially when it is a BIG family affair. Less work for me means a much happier mom and wife. I love to have a nice runner and some kind of centerpiece on my big farm table. Unfortunately right now my table has the benches stacked on top of it to keep my 15 month old son from dancing on the table.

2. kellie says

i love both of these!!! they’re beautiful!! i love using the tree pieces under the cake stands and trees to add height. and the wood candle holders are gorgeous!! i would love to set my table like this. i don’t have china either (not really a china person), i just have every day plates, but over the past year or so, i’ve slowly been adding serving pieces. i need to start adding decorative pieces. both of these tablescapes really are beautiful!

Wow Stacy, I’m impressed! Both of these are just gorgeous! Like you, I have five boys who could care less what the table looks like as long as the food is good. But I adore these tablescapes so much that I might just have to branch out!

I’ve only done a tablescape once before…for a romantic dinner at home for Valentine’s Day with the hubs. It was a lot of work (for me anyways), but it turned out very nice.
    I love the acorns in the candleholders you used – great accent. And the log votive holders look like they came straight out of a Pottery Barn magazine! I love it!
    I like pretty plates…I don’t have any. Our “good” dishware is same as our day-to-day…..Corelle plates that are durable w/4 kids, lol.

Lovely! Love the incorporation of the natural elements! In both versions my favorite elements are the candles. From farther away the acorns look like stones. And the log votive holders look super-expensive :)

Love the simplicity and nature’s beauty taking stage. So pretty. I think wood slabs are my new favorite thing. I saw them at Michael’s so I may just have to grab a couple…unless you have a couple more from your tree you want to send me. J/K. :) I’m pretty minimalist when it comes to tablescapes. I use the same basic ivory cloth for Thanksgiving and Easter, throw ina couple token items like some gourds, mini pumpkins and Easter eggs and tulips, but you know this blogging thing does get you to do some things. :) We’ll see what happens this year.

7. Pam the Goatherd says

You did a great job for your first tablescape!
    I’m a dish-a-holic. If I had money to burn I’d spend tons of money on all the china that catches my fancy. Since I’m on a tight budget I have to settle for things I find at yard sales and estate auctions. My hubby loves Fiestaware, so we’ve been slowly collecting bits and pieces of that to mix and match. With all that said, I have to admit that I rarely do a tablescape. When we have dinner guests there usually is so much food that there isn’t any room for “decor” on the table! So my tablescaping is limited to linens and dishes.

I love it! I typically just throw on a tablecloth and maybe a small centerpiece and that is it! My mom passed away when I was little, and eventually when I grew up and got my own place I inherited her china. It is white with a small silver line around the edge. Timeless and goes with everything. I just need to try to replace a few missing and broken pieces. Those plates you showcased were gorgeous!

9. Louise in Oregon says

I also love your tablescape. I think it’s all the more attractive for it’s simplicity. I’ve actually been at a holiday meal where there were so many tall arrangements on the table that you couldn’t see the person across from you. Yours is so much nicer. And when I saw your china plate up close, all I could say was “wow” , no wonder you loved it. Great job!

10. Jusa says

Really cute. I particularly like the mini evergreens and candles on branches tablescape. Works well with the mirror in the background, too. I had a tree cut down last spring, which hurts just as much as having it fall down, so I know how you feel about it. (With Sandy howling at the door, I’m not sorry I had the tree taken down, though; better safe than sorry). I keep looking at all those pieces of tree trunk and limbs sitting there, wondering what I’m going to do with it all (no fireplace, alas). Thanks for the inspiration!! Hope you show us some more neat ideas for tree pieces.

11. cindy says

Wow! just beautiful! I love rustic, too. But this is both simple & rustic- perfect for both fall & winterscapes.

nicely done!

Nicely done!! Now that storm Sandy is done with her damage ( we were fine), I’ll bet I could round up pieces quite abundantly. Personally, I’ll have to stick with the smaller ones because of health limitations, but a healthy body could make out big time!
    Janet

This is gorgeous! I LOVE the tree slices you have the pies sitting on, beautiful! I found you from your feature over at Kitchen Table Art blog.