I have always struggled with homework and school papers cluttering up my kitchen. The kids come home from school and unload their backpacks on the counter (sometimes in the office). Important papers and assignments were getting lost. The problem was, there really wasn’t a good place to put it. I tried a basket once. I tried a drawer. But if it was out of sight, it was out of mind.
I have hesitated to create a command center in my kitchen because I love the way it looked without one! My kitchen is tiny and I really don’t like a lot of things on my counter. I have big windows and not a lot of wall space for one either.
I decided to add a wall.
It has always bothered me that you could see the back of our fridge and the chimney that juts out from the wall. So I fixed both my problems with one project :)
(I couldn’t find a more recent picture of the side/back of my fridge. I forgot to take a before picture before I dove into the project!)
We had a picture ( I will get to that later), the chore charts, and the homework folder rack.
The homework folder rack is from IKEA. I have been looking for an off white metal one for so long. I was happy to find this one for such a great price. I added the numbers. They are vinyl that I cut out using my Silhouette. But you could also use an X-acto knife (razor blade knife).
If your kids are like mine, anytime I ask them to do something or tell them about something the first thing out of their mouth is “why”. And it is a valid question. I think we are more likely to do something if we know the meaning or reason behind it. So before I hung everything on the wall we had a special family meeting. I told them I had come up with a good plan to help keep their papers organized and how to remind them about doing their chores.
We talked about why it is important to be organized and why they needed to do their chores. Then I showed them a picture I made. I took a photo of our house and typed a scripture over it. I told them it would serve as a reminder of this special meeting we had.
The “wall” is just a piece of half inch plywood. I nailed it into the side of the cabinet that is above the fridge and then caulked along where the board met the (green) existing wall.
I added one inch trim to the edge of the plywood so the “wall” would seem thicker and so it would have a nice rounded, smooth edge.
Then I added baseboard to the bottom and molding that matched what I had added to the cabinet on the top. Now it looks like it has always been there :)