Flower Pot Cakes

flower pot cake 1 1024x685 Flower Pot Cakes

I have spring fever so bad and all it has done here is RAIN!!! And occationally snow.  I thought I would help chase away the dreary feeling by sharing a fun spring treat.  Individual flower pot cakes!!! BBQ season is upon us and how cute would these be for your next outdoor entertaining event? I made these last year before I started this blog.

The one bright spot in all this rain are my red painted daisies. I know. They are hot pink.  I didn’t name them, people.  But even thought they are different than what I thought they would be I love them! They are the first flowers to bloom after the tulips.

red painted daisey 682x1024 Flower Pot Cakes

It got me thinking about these flower pot cakes…
flower pot cakes 1024x642 Flower Pot Cakes
Aren’t these adorable!?!  I bought my pots at Home Depot because it was cheaper than buying them at a craft store. Plus any excuse to grace the isles of my home away from home, right? I came home and scrubbed them in hot soapy water and then let them air dry.

flower pot cake 1024x682 Flower Pot Cakes
When they were dry I brushed vegetable oil on the inside. Then I used baking cocoa to coat the inside. To plug up the hole in the bottom I put a small square of parchment paper in there.

flower pot cake 2 1024x682 Flower Pot CakesI used a cake mix. I had eight small pots and filled them 3/4 of the way. The cake ended up being taller than the pot and I had to cut off the top with a sharp knife. If I were to do it again, I would have baked 10 small pots per cake mix, or bought slightly bigger pots. So I guess you get to learn from my mistakes! Also, because of the terracotta, these take a little longer to bake. Just keep an eye on them and keep poking them with toothpicks. I have a gas stove and they took around 40 minutes.

flower pot cake 3 1024x575 Flower Pot Cakes
I frosted them generously and then sprinkled chocolate cookie crumbs on the frosting. Then I stuck the flowers in. I went with artificial because I made them the night before. If you want to use real flowers, make sure they aren’t too delicate (or poisonous!) and put them in right before you serve them.

flower pot cakes 1024x642 Flower Pot Cakes

Happy Memorial day!!! And happy spring!!!

Comments

Oh my goodness I LOVE these! When I saw the first picture I thought there was no way they were edible because they were so pretty! TFS

splendidly done, my friend! My kids would love these but mostly my grand-daughter would LOVE them! I plan to make them with her She loves to take part in EVERYTHING so she will enjoy this
    Glad to see you are blogging today and I’m hoping your spirits will continue to rise
    KAT

3. Lynne says

Very pretty. Just make sure your pots are food safe! Some clay pots are contaminated with heavy metals or lead.

These are just the cutest things ever! I also consider Home Depot to be my home away from home so I’ll be picking some pots up myself next time I visit. I can’t wait to try and make these. :)
    I’m a new follower, love your blog!

Lisa

Oh my gosh, Stacy! I LOVE these! They are so amazingly darling. I’m sitting here thinking why I need to make them in the immediate future! Maybe just…..happy Wednesday to me? Way to go! I’m going to share this on my FB page today! LOVE THIS!

What a great idea and not too difficult! Thanks for sharing…these will be awesome at my church’s mother daughter tea next year!!!

Love your blog…always something fun!!!

7. Happier Than A Pig in Mud says

They look cute! I actually carried a set of silicone cupcake flower pots around Christmas Tree Shops but ended up putting them back. Now I wish I didn’t:@)

8. Becca says

This was PERFECT timing! I just remembered about these babies today and was going to look for a tutorial and came across your tut at Tatertots! Thanks so much for posting!

(excuse the dumb comment that’s coming) I had NO idea you could actually bake one of those flower pots! That’s so totally awesome! These are the cutest party cakes I’ve seen in a long time! Thanks for the great post!

10. Jessie says

I love this idea! I am planning to do this for a baby shower. I am wondering if you could paint the pots different colors, and if so should it be done before baking or after. Love your website, such great ideas!!!

11. Kaitlyn Zelhart says

I am a college student far away from home, but know I will be doing this once the school year is over! I love baking cakes so this is right up my alley! I think this idea is super cute and great for spring! I will be home then, so I can make these for my family to enjoy!! Thank you very much for the detailed tutorial! It really helps us as readers to make the project as easy as possible! Thank you very much for the idea!

1. [...] to do some sort of flower project. I came across a post for flower pot cupcakes from Stacy at Not Just a Housewife and decided that’s what I wanted to do. Stacy has a great tutorial on her blog so it was easy [...]