Rainbow Bread

So I went to get my kids ready for school (which thanks to Mr. Day Light Savings Time it has been rough to say the least) and my second son asked “Mom, why are you talking to us in a grumpy voice?”  Yep. That was the wake up call I needed to realize that my kids have been getting the short end of the stick. While I have been working on my “project” night and day, they have been getting the “leftover” me. The tired, and yes, grumpy me. So I decided to make  a surprise while the 2 oldest were at school. I made rainbow bread!

2 Rainbow Bread

My boys are OBSESSED with St. Patrick’s Day. I don’t get it to be honest. But they love it. I haven’t decorated. I didn’t make them a green breakfast, I didn’t even wear green today. So they were happy to come home and get a St. Patty’s Day surprise from me :) I separated the dough into 6 balls. The my 4 year old an I worked the food coloring into it by squishing it. It took awhile but it was like playing with clay so it entertained him the whole time. Then I rolled each color flat and stacked them up. The I rolled it up so it looked like a loaf of bread and stuck it in the bread pan to rise again.

1 Rainbow Bread

See, I told you. Obsessed. This is how they went to school! They hate posing for things like this by the way. They are always like “Mom, why can’t we just eat it???”

3 Rainbow Bread

Well, I didn’t get much done today besides this. But I am also not speaking in a grumpy voice either :)

This is the recipe I use. You can use any bread recipe though.

This makes 4 loaves of bread.

4 cups flour (I use all purpose most of the time and sometimes better for bread. Do not use self rising)

1/2 cup sugar

2 Tablespoons salt

2 packets dry active yeast ( one packet equals 2 1/4 teaspoons)

Combine in a large mixer

In a sauce pan combine 4 1/2 cups milk and 1/2 cup cooking oil. Heat (on medium) until warm.

Add 2 eggs and milk mixture to flour mixture. Beat 1/2 a minute on low and then 3 minutes on medium speed. Gradually add 7-8 additional cups of flour to form a soft dough. You can tell it is ready when it starts to pull away from the side of the mixer. Cover and let rise until it doubles in size (45-60 minutes)

Punch down and form 4 loaves. Place in greased pans and let rise in a warm place for 30-45 minutes.

Bake at 350 degrees. I have a gas oven and it only bakes for 30 minutes. My mom has an electric oven and it bakes for 40 minutes. I take mine out of the pan right away and let them cool on a washcloth. I put butter on the top while they are warm. When they have completely cooled, I put them in bags.

Also, if you half this recipe, don’t half the yeast. Still use 2 packets.

name Rainbow Bread

Comments

1. ellie g says

Are you kidding me? This ROCKS!! Way to go Stacy. You are a hero mom. And, PS….I talk to my kids in a grumpy voice WAY too much. :)

2. Stephanie Murphy says

What a clever idea! When we were young and my mom would furrow her brow and wrinkle up her eyebrows we'd ask why her "mean things" were on.

3. Kristiet @ Scrupmtious says

I love that! So clever. Wish I would have thought of it! I've seen it done with cupcakes, but never thought to do it with bread! Nice.

4. Shandra says

What a CUTE idea!!! I would have never thought of this…I did the green dinner with my daughter!! Great job!!!!

5. Becci Sundberg says

OMG that is awesome!!!!!

Hmm thinking I might have to make some rainbow pikelets on sunday instead of plain ones for the kids

6. UtahMillers says

Unfortunately my daughter saw this post. Now there is no question that I have to make this. It is totally awesome! I'm just glad the hubs didn't see it! Great job by the way!

7. Gwen @ Gwenny Penny says

This is really amazing, Stacy. My oldest will think this is incredible. Thanks for the cute idea.

8. Marcie says

Do you still update your blog? I need a new invite if you do! I love all your cute stuff. You're such a great mommy!

9. Trisha @ 3 Four and Under says

Your rainbow bread is amazing! My daughter would love that! I'll have to try it sometime soon!

10. Jane @ amazing grace catering & events says

You are AMAZING! This is the best thing I've seen in a long time, the cutest! Great job!

11. Pure Heart says

thanks for the idea! this week is rainbow week for us and maybe i will add this to our "to-do" list!

12. Kissy says

love it love it love it….I will definitely have to make this for my class (I teach kindergarten). They love St. Patrick's day too, but it is totally because I hype it up for them…probably what happened to your boys! We get a visit from a tricky leprechaun and go on a hunt for him. It is a blast every year. I will have to add this to next year's treats.

13. Huggs and Kisses xo says

I LOVE bread and love this rainbow bread even more. I showcased it on my blog with a link back to yours. Thanks for sharing and can't wait to try it!! johanna xo

14. Rylea says

you are truly one inspirational woman….I love your blog and your creativity. this rainbow bread idea is awesome……and I will try it myself and surprise my grandkids as well.I am truly grateful we are not neighbors girls…..it would be a gas to play with you for hours on end, coming up all kinds of ideas. Thank you so very much for all you post and all your do sharing your daily life…..next to PioneerWoman, your it! Thank you

15. Sharon says

Does this bread have to bake in the oven or can it just be eaten after the second rising? thanks

16. Sharon says

This sounds wonderful but I must have missed something. Does the bread need to go into the oven to bake at 350 degrees for some time or does it just rise again and then you can eat it without oven baking? Thanks so much!