I never expected such a big response to my post about commenting on blogs. It seems kind of ironic that I was writing about how the number of comments have gone down (on all blogs) and then there were over 160 comments on that post!
I was incredibly impressed by all of your well thought out comments and all of the different points of view. It gave me a lot to think about. And since odds are that you all didn't read every single comment, I thought I would write a summary post.
* Comments are down due to several reasons such as Pinterest, people reading blogs on their phones and in readers, and due to the busy spring season (spring breaks, little league, warm weather, gardening, etc.)
* Most of you don't care if you get a comment back after you leave a comment but some of you feel strongly that you should get a comment back.
* Some of you feel intimidated commenting on big blogs.
* If some of you see a post with a ton of comments you feel like our comment is not needed.
* A lot of you only comment when you feel moved or you REALLY like the project.
* Those of you on blogger are annoyed by the no-reply get when you try to respond to a comment on your blog.
* Many of you didn't comment until you started your own blog and then realized how much comments mean.
* If you have to jump through hoops and sign up in order to comment, chances are you won't at all.
* You all pretty much agree that comments are a great way to be connected with your readers, or with the blog you are commenting on.
* All of you who are bloggers don't care if the comment is short ( ie Great post!) as long as you know that people are reading.
* Some of you are lurkers (AKA stalkers)......shhhh I used to be one too!
* Not commenting doesn't mean you don't like the project or blog. You are busy and it is hard to keep up with all the blogs.
You guys rock and brought up some amazing points I didn't cover in the post. Thank you.
I agree with most of you. I think that social media is changing the blogging world. I also think that if we all want more comment we need to interact more and also make our blogs more comment friendly ( captcha codes, signing up in order to comment, etc)
And the number one thing I would like to point out, is that we are all busy and we are all doing the best we can. I will do my best to comment back more but I can't promise it will be every single comment. And like I pointed out in my original post, I do not expect any of you to comment on every single post I write. I am just happy you read :) And the comments are a bonus that make my day :)
You will also like: