Today is national raspberry cake day! Yep. It is really a thing. I have shared this cake in the past but it was so long ago I know most of you missed it so I am reposting it. Plus, it is the height of raspberry season so the timing is perfect :)
I got the recipe for the basic yellow cake from the Martha Stewart Wedding website (which is stunning and makes me want to get married again).
This recipe makes 1 eight-inch cake.
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pans
- 1 1/3 cups cake flour (not self-rising), sifted, plus more for pans
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 1/2 cups raspberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- CAKE: Heat oven to 325 degrees. Butter an 8-by-2- inch round cake pan. Flour the buttered pan, and tap out excess flour and then set the pan aside. In the bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light. Add the vanilla, and then the eggs, one at a time, beating each until fully incorporated before adding the next.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add flour mixture and milk to the egg mixture in three additions, beginning with the milk and ending with the flour, and alternating with the milk.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan. Add fresh raspberries to the batter by poking them into the batter. Do not stir or the batter will turn pink. Bake about 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- FILLING: While they were baking I took the other raspberries and put them in a sauce pan with about 1/2 cup of sugar. I stirred it on medium heat for a few minutes then let it simmer for a few more. This was what became the filling in the middle of the 2 layers. I spread it on like jam.
PIN for later:
What is your favorite thing to do with fresh raspberries?
You will also like: