Holy Crap, I joined a Gym!

I woke up one day recently and realized that I was not in my twenties anymore. I miss my twenties. I could eat whatever I wanted and do nothing and basically maintain my weight and energy level.  And then I turned 30. And then I had my fourth child. And then I never really lost the weight from the pregnancy. And then I gained a little more. And now I am 33 and have 40 extra pounds just hangin’ there…… Literally.

I think I am more aware of my weight because I take pictures for this blog and I do local TV so when I see those pictures/video clips I am like WOW! Are those MY arms? Seeing myself everyday in the mirror I am use to it. As I slowly gain the weight it is almost undetectable. But I think at one point we all have that moment when we see a picture and do a double take. “Is that me?”

I am tired all the time. I know that my schedule of being a mom and then trying to be a DIY Diva doing projects at night and blogging on top of that doesn’t help me any, but I know that my age, diet, and the fact that my exercise routine is sporadic at best, also contribute.

I swore I would never join a gym. Like SWORE up and down, over and over that it would never happen.

But there was something about turning 33. Something about it made me re-evaluate my life. I all of a sudden realized I am an adult. That I am not this indestructible young person that will never grow old or slow down. I know, you are thinking “Dude, Stacy, you were suppose to have that epiphany YEARS ago.” Okay. So I am a little slow.

I started to FEEL old. And time is going by way too fast. I have a terrible health history on my side of the family. You know those boxes on Doctor forms you fill out? I usually have to check them all. I do not want to have all those health issues.

I have an exercise bike and a treadmill plus some free weights at home. I have tried over the years to just do it on my own. You see, I have a HUGE deep seeded fear of working out in front of other people.

I first talked about this when I talked about finally dancing in front of others at the blog conference SNAP last year.. But dancing around and having fun with other women who are friends (even though it was still hard for me) was one thing, exercising in front of MEN I didn’t know is a whole other thing.

So I decided to put my big girl panties on and face reality. I can’t do it on my own. I have to take this seriously. I have to DO something.

So I joined a freakin’ GYM!

Last night was my first time going. My husband is doing this with me.  I have never stepped foot inside a gym so I had no idea what to expect. I wore stretchy black pants and an old tee shirt. I quickly found that I was sadly under dressed. I think these ladies have the gym confused with the mall……(ironically they are both places I avoid). The gym does a free health assessment so we went after my husband got off work. Because it was in the evening the placed was packed with men. I was so nervous I was sweating before we even touched a piece of equipment. And to make matters worse we had a personal trainer showing us around and having us workout for him to check our form. (P.S. I have no form) We stuck out like a couple of tourists. We might as well have been wearing Hawaiian shirts and giant cameras around out necks.

More sweat.

And then for the cherry on top…… I saw a guy I use to date in High school. Yep. AFTER the workout when I was hot (not to be confused with hawt).

But guess what? I survived.

And I will be going back 3 days a week.

Why am I sharing this when it has zero to do with home decor???

Because 2013 is the year of the uncomfortable. I have decided I am going to do things that scare me. I am going to do things I said I would never do. I am going to go outside of my comfort zone. Because I want to grow. And I want you to do it with me. Sometime this spring I am going to do something BIG on this blog. Something I have planned on and wanted to do for over 2 years. I had this idea when my blog was in the planning stages but I have never actually done anything to make it a reality. It will be a lot of work on my part and it may be an epic fail.

But I am going to try.

P.S. I have a ton of posts about the details of my family room coming up in the next few days!  And if you missed it, I have the Best DIY Project of the Year Contest going on right now!!! You could win a $250 gift card to Home Depot!

Comments

Oh no, that sounds aweful! But kudos for sticking with it and going on a regular basis. All of the things you described are the reasons why I still swear I’ll never go, but who knows, in one or two years I might have to change my mind. Why can’t extreme-painting, hardcore blogging or marathon crocheting not be enough to stay in form? ;-)

Don’t pay no mind to what the others are doing or wearing at the gym. It’s just good that you’re even going and giving an effort. Kudos to your husband for joining you too. Link up your progress with me on Sundays. I’d love to see how you’re doing.

Good luck! I joined a gym last year (at 32) and this is the first time I have had any success in going regularly. I LOVE going. I love to exercise anyway (you can’t tell by the extra 50 lbs) but as a homeschooling mom of five the two hours I get to spend there are child free and boy do I need that time.

Good. For. You! I feel that way at the gym too! Luckily, none of my ex’s live in this town, so there’s no chance of THAT happening! I can just imagine it though. I wear stretchy black pants and an old Sonic tee or an old TCBY tee! Nothing wrong with that. :)

5. Jackie says

People who go to the gym to be seen at the gym, should be banned from the gym. :) I have 100 lbs to lose (no exaggeration) and I’ve been going to the gym. The guys are probably nicer. I know which girls now to stay away from, and which ones are nice. GO AT THE SAME TIME every time. That way you’ll get to know the vibe and get to know the people who go at that time. I once went a couple hours later than I normally do and felt totally out of place.
    But keep going, your going to love it. Don’t get killed out by a trainer. Find a machine that you love, I first did ellipticals, then went to treadmills and I love both and look forward to each.

The hardest part of going to the gym is forcing yourself to actually go for the first time. After that, the hardest part is forcing yourself to go. Feel tired? Cranky? Have cramps? Lace up your running shoes and throw on your outfit and get in the car. Once you are dressed and in the car, the hardest part is over. Have fun! You can do it!

Ha ha! Yeah the 30′s are all down hill. :) We’re the same age and I had my 5th at 31. Weight has been a problem ever since. I think it’s a cruel trick life plays on us. I told my husband things should happen the other way around. You should start out fat, stretched out and droopy and get better with every kids you have. He claims there’s a reason it doesn’t happen that way – we’d never get married! :) Good luck at the gym – I have a pass and still have a hard time getting there. And I can literally see it from my front window. :)

I love your blog! You are so down to earth. I love how you share your personal life with us. I am 33 (going to be 34 this year) and I know exactly what you mean. I don’t like working out. I never really have. But, I also realize this weight (and the jiggles) aren’t going to take care of themselves. My only problem is a gym membership is not in the budget right now. I have such a hard time motivating myself to work out at home. I am going to have to kick myself in the pants to get it done. But, I promised myself this year would be the year to actually do it!

Best of luck at the gym! I personally love the gym after work – it gives me time to decompress and let go of the work day. And who cares what you look like or who you see at the gym, everyone is there to get their sweat on & have a good work out! Mix up your workouts to keep it interesting & fun :)

10. Cara Sullenger says

I feel your pain on your gym outfit! I joined a gym last April and I showed up in cut off sweats and an old usu shirt from college days. I fit right in with the oldie women! But felt super out of place! I immediately ran to target and stocked up on some workout clothes! I’ve found that the classes at the gm are the best way to workout for me and bonus, very few. Men! Good luck!

That’s so awesome of you! Gyms can be soo intimidating, for newcomers and lifers, especially the weight room — eek! It will completely pay off in your energy and how you feel about yourself. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with wearing what’s comfortable for you, BUT some new workout clothes might make you feel more confident. Target has a Champion line that’s cheap and pretty well made and TJMaxx and Nordstrom Rack always have cheaper name brand stuff. Good luck!

I always wear what I feel comfortable in! I’m there to work out so I need to be comfortable and if that means my old t-shirt and ratty shorts then so be it!

I am also doing lots of things outside my comfort zone this year so I know how scary that is! I just started my blog in October and it has been interesting being so “public” with my thoughts and feelings!

Good for you! I’ve always been super sensitive with food…..I gained 20lbs just dating, then another 10 with each kid ( I call that my souviners) . I can’t say that I work out but I do eat well and walk the pooches about 2 miles every day. It is offensive that we have to up the effotrs so much as the years wear on, isn’t it? Btw, I’m 43, so to me, you’re just a pup ;-)
    I actually popped on here to see if you knew that your boys’ movie drive in photo was being used by I love to laugh facebook page? At least the comments are nice but I don’t see any credit to you for the photo…..

Yep, I found out about growing up this year too. Both of my parents passed away and we are left to sort out the farmland an manage our own acreage. Wow, it is dreadful without them but here we are…all grown up. It is a tough world but by the grace of God I have survived. Now I have to learn how to thrive….next step. Dianntha

15. sharla says

Target has nice workout clothes and several on their 70% off rack, right now. I would suggest the tight capri’s and a wicking top, not cotton. Baggier clothes hold heat in.
    I too, had a wake up call about 7 years ago and felt very guilty for taking time ffor me to go to the gym, but it made me a better mother, and healthier and set the example of healthy living for my kids.
    Jjust keep going! It will get easier. Remembere the ex is an ex for a reason :)

Major props to you Stacy! The gym decision isn’t an easy one…Even for some of us guys! Jacque and I are ramping up to start back to the gym too, and truth be told, she and I share a lot of the same insecurities! So, keep up the good work and know that you’ve got 2 friends from TN cheering you on and working towards the same goal!

Congratulations to you! I read your post entirely and it was my family history that scared me into doing something drastic as well. I actually had a very real case of agoraphobia once in my life, and even though I now manage my extreme shyness, I still choose to exercise at home. I am stepping outside of my comfort zone this year too…both with my blog and my self-care. I downloaded the Couch to 10K app this year after conquering a 5K last year….and it was the only thing that reduced my spare tire…so now I am hooked! Best of luck…you can do it!

18. Annalea says

Fwiw, the 30′s are all about realizing you’re an actual. real. live. adult. . . . and owning it. Finishing the whole “shake off the chains of childhood expectations and taboos” kind of thing. I’ve joined a gym (women’s only–but that can be meaner than a co-ed gym), and am slooooowly starting to reclaim my health. Long story there–but one thing to remember always:

Hospitals are for the sick, not the well.

Gyms are for those who want to be more fit–not for the perfect. (Yeah, yeah . . . seemingly perfect people show up there. But nobody’s perfect. ;o)

Have fun!

19. Jessie says

I am turning 33 in a couple months and literally joined the gym this week! It’s hopefully a turning point. We are on this road together!

Good for you! I laughed at your comment about feeling like a tourist, lol! I’m about to renew my susbscription to my gym again. I got an awesome deal years ago, and only pay $49 a year for the membership….I figure it’s about time to take advantage of it again! haha.

People dress up for the gym, seriously? I’m glad my gym is not like that. I work out with my husband, too, but thankfully have never run into old boyfriends.

22. Jusa says

Your story is inspiring. I need to lose 30 lbs, preferably by May 18th. Hahaha. I heard a story about a lovely woman whose husband left her for another woman. She had to raise their two children herself. Then she got cancer. Survived. Wanted to do the cancer walkathon. Went to gym to workout. Met nice man. Married him. Living happily ever after. I know you’re going WITH your husband and not looking FOR a husband. Point being, there are probably a lot of very nice men (and women) there. If you’re with your DH, the men will not be sizing you up. Your ex boyfriend might feel intimidated because you have one seriously cute hubby. Try not to be too smug about that. You have a charming personality, so go there looking for new friends. Tell the women about your blog. Hey, have a t-shirt printed with “Not Just a Housewife.” That will get the conversations rolling!

Good for you! That is so awesome! And seriously I am 32 and once I hit 30 things really did start to change. Started experiencing real true PMS, started getting this awful dry spots on my face, started getting gray hairs as a much faster pace… it is like really!!

And yes why is the gym a fashion show! Crazy. I think you are going to love it in the end and someday you can laugh at the tourists getting a tour :)

24. Andrea says

I totally understand your whole issue about not working out in front of others because I used to be the same way. The more you do it, though, the easier it will become, and you’ll realize that it’s no big deal. So don’t let that hold you back. I really enjoy going to the gym now (especially for the classes), and it seems like it has made me a happier and nicer person overall.

Good luck at the gym! I don’t like working out in front of others, either. The up side to it has been that I’m less likely to stop when I feel like it, and more likely to work towards whatever that day’s goal was (distance, time, speed). It’s harder to stop and wimp out when you feel like people are watching you. :)

Keep it up! Remember that you are also setting a good example of a healthy lifestyle to your children as well. And go get some cute workout clothes, it seriously helps! After I lost a good chunk of my baby weight I treated myself to some pieces from Lululemon. Find a class to get into as well if your gym offers them. Its a great way to meet some of the other women at the gym and hold each other accountable :) Good luck!

27. Erin says

Good for you! I miss working out. The gym is one place I feel sort of comfortable (consequence of many years of sports) but I have no time or money to join one! At 39 with baby number six just two weeks old it is time for me to do something. We moved to the country 7 years ago and it’s as if I stopped moving. The highway we live on is just not right for hauling kiddos around in a stroller. Hmmm…maybe I can figure out a way to make it work and join the local fitness center-you are an inspiration!

I’m 33 too and just started working out at home to lose those pesky post-three-babies pounds…I used to work out a lot at the gym years ago and please, please, please don’t feel self-conscious! There are new people at gyms all the time and people of all different shapes/sizes! If you go in the morning, there are a ton more moms, less men. You can do it! Once you get into a rhythm there you’ll love it!

Good for you! Before you know it you will be a pro at the gym. And don’t worry about what you look like – it is not a fashion contest and do you really want makeup running in your eyes when you’re all sweaty? I don’t have good genes on my side either and working to lose the weight I gained with baby #2. After baby #1 I got into running. My only piece of advise is invest in a few non-cotton workout pants and shirts and a good sports bra. Cotton can cause chafing. Good luck and keep at it.

Good luck, Stacy! I am a blogger too with kids, and I am starting to feel really old, too. (But too bad, I am a bit older than you!) So, I just joined a gym, too! Luckily for me, the gym has a pool for swimming and gentle yoga, since I now have painful hip and foot problems, but I hope to get those problems taken care of soon. Enjoy the gym!