Details about all the Pillows in my Family Room :)

If you are wondering about if I sell the “Little Houses” pillow, please read this updated post (click on the highlighted text link).

I think it is ironic that the things I put off until last (the pillows) are the first thing I am sharing from my family room reveal. I do not enjoy sewing as much as I do using power tools. In fact, the only way I survive without yelling at the sewing machine is I pretend it is just another power tool. Because really, it is.

decorative pillow collage 1024x806 Details about all the Pillows in my Family Room :)

I have a problem. I envision a room before I even start and I know exactly how I want the room to look right down to the fabric. Problem is, most of the fabrics I have invented in my head and then I can’t find it in real life. I have been painting fabric for about 8 years now. If I can’t find what I want, I create it myself!

song verse pillow zpsaeeb4974 Details about all the Pillows in my Family Room :)

The  pillow in the back came from ……… Walmart! I know, I am still shocked too. I have never bought a pillow from there before but I was walking by I saw this one and it was the perfect color and had great texture. The one with words on it, I made. It is kind of my favorite :)

When I was growing up my dad listened to country music. I still love it. There are so many memories of bouncing around in his dusty old truck listening to the old songs like Statler Brothers, Oak Ridge Boys, George Straight, and Randy Travis. I remember one song that stuck with me. Remember I have said many times in the past that I was an odd child. I was, even at a young age, always thinking about my future house. I REALLY wanted to live in a small cottage style home. The song that I loved was called Little Houses by Doug Stone. I painted the words to the chorus on to a pillow because it is how I feel about my little house.

typeography pillow 1024x682 Details about all the Pillows in my Family Room :)

I used my Silhouette machine to cut out the words in vinyl. The vinyl is sticky on the back so it sticks to the fabric while I paint. Picking off all the “insides” of the letter took what seemed like forever. But it was worth it :)

fabric ink 1024x682 Details about all the Pillows in my Family Room :)

I used fabric ink because I had some on hand from another past project. But paint with fabric paint medium works well too. The ink takes longer to dry so make sure it is really dry before taking the vinyl off or it will smudge.

loves grows 1024x682 Details about all the Pillows in my Family Room :)

Moving on the the couch pillows……You would think that a bold yellow striped fabric would be easy to find. But it wasn’t. I used painters tape, paint, and fabric paint medium (you can buy it at crafts stores by all the other craft paint).

family room couch pillows11 682x1024 Details about all the Pillows in my Family Room :)

I wanted to find a canvas that was a color close to the wall color. That was nearly impossible too. So I bought white canvas fabric and soaked it in very watered down paint (the same paint I painted the walls with).  I squeezed the water paint out, laid them flat on a tarp, and after they dried I washed them in the washing machine. Unlike with dyes, you don’t have to wash it all by itself. If the paint is all dry it won’t bleed on to anything else in the wash. I have done this before and talked about it when I did my office pillows. I love how it looks faded on some spots where the paint didn’t absorbs as much. It looks worn, which for me is perfect!

I added a wood button (one on each side) to the canvas pillow. We had a tree fall down in a giant wind storm this past summer and it broke my heart. I vowed to use as much of it as I could so it wouldn’t go to waste.

diy wood button 1024x752 Details about all the Pillows in my Family Room :)

I cut a tree branch on my miter saw. I drilled two holes and then soaked it in polyurethane. It was very porous so I knew that brushing it on wouldn’t be enough. Then after it soaked for a few minutes I dabbed off any excess polyurethane and let it dry.

The pillow in the middle is made out of yellow ticking fabric. I was able to find it online. I used the same fabric to cover the bench on the opposite side of the room.

The pillows on the crate I adore! The Moroccan patterned pillow came from Pottery Barn. You know when all the stars align and you find exactly what you want AND it is on mega clearance?  THAT is what happened with this awesome pillow.

family room key pillow edited 1 1024x718 Details about all the Pillows in my Family Room :)

The key pillow I also make using my Silhouette and fabric ink.

key pillow how to 1024x682 Details about all the Pillows in my Family Room :)

I LOVE a big houndstooth. So I new I wanted a pillow with that pattern.

family room chair edited 1 1024x682 Details about all the Pillows in my Family Room :)

I couldn’t find a graphic yellow houndstooth fabric so I again turned to my Silhouette machine.

diy houndstooth pillow 719x1024 Details about all the Pillows in my Family Room :)

It was obviously more work to make all these custom pillows. I would have rather just bought all of them instead of just two of them. But I am picky and I know what I want. Even though I dislike sewing, I am glad I did it because the pillows are exactly what I wanted :)

Linked up at Skip to my Lou

Comments

It all looks fantastic!!!! You are so talented!! I wish my homemade stuff looked like that. When I do DIY projects that I can’t find in stores, they usually look like “made by me”. Congratulations°!!!!!
    I remember something about the key. You told us a story about the big key on another past post, didn’t you? Some emotional value it has for you, I don’t remember if it’s something about your father or your childhood, but I have the feeling that I remember something about the antique key… =D anyways, congratulations, it looks beautiful

2. Angie says

Love, love, love the Little Houses pillow! Really wish I had a silhouette to make one!! Great job! Your space is beautiful!

First, you’re awesome–seriously! I love that you made all of the pillows! Second, this post helped me realize that I really, really NEED a silhouette. My 1st generation cricut is no longer cutting it. Great job!

4. kelly thompson says

ummm…sooo cute- I will be attempting this at some point in my life with my Silhouette! thanks for tute~!

5. Kelly says

That little house pillow is amazing! They are all really cute! Very talented! Just made my first pillows, ill get better as I learn!

Wow, those were a lot of work but turned out beautifully! I would not have guessed half the pillows were hand-painted. And the little wooden buttons, so sweet. Your family room is very photogenic with the new colors!

I, too, love your pillow from the song lyrics about little houses and love. One of few times I wish I had a silhouette. Actually, that applies to all your pillows you showed today you “silhouetted”. Thanks for a lovely show of a great space.’
    Janet

8. April says

Wow! I think I’m going have to turn to my silhouette for some pillow makage. That was one of my favorite parts of your room when I saw it. Thanks for the awesome idea!

I love it! I haven’t tried painting on fabric but I did cut geometric prints out of solid fabric then ironed them on burlap for the kids’ Christmas stockings this year. Must try with paint! The quote you used is awesome and a sentiment shared by many (including me).

10. Cath says

Love everything! The song lyrics are perfect for you and your house. Thanks for all the ideas on painting designs on cloth. Love those buttons, too.

Love all of them! I am having the same pillow/curtain/fabric dilemma right now. I have a picture in my head of what I want, but I can’t find it anywhere. And if I can find it, it’s a bajillion dollars.

These turned out great!! I don’t know how far you are located but in West Jordan they have my favorite fabric store Hancock. I love them because they have the best prices in town plus awesome clearance area. Just FYI if you ever need cheaper fabric :)

I’m so loving it…and you are giving me MAJOR reno fever {which we don’t have the money for right now}!

I love that pillow…I think I might attempt it with printable fabric, then making something for it, rather than fabric paint.

14. Paola Segnini says

You missy are a GENIUS! I have the same problem with pillows. I can never find in real life what I have floating around in my head, but never in a million years would I’ve imagined you did this yourself! AMAZING! I absolutely love all of them. Makes me want to try it, but I have a feeling I will fail miserably hahaha

15. Kirsten says

Hello Stacy! I have been a big fan for the LONGEST time! I love your home – it is so beautiful and as my daughter would say “comfy” :) Today I signed my life away and became a homeowner!!! I have TONS of repairs to do and your blog and given me so much inspiration! Love the pillows by the way :)
    QUESTION: I love your laminate pergo flooring – you said in your kitchen post that it was called Pergo Cross Swan from Home Depot. I looked it up online and the only one is a Pergo Cross Swan – Chestnut which looks so much lighter to me than what you have. Is that the right one? Thanks in advance!!!

16. Kristi Lewis says

17. Laurissa says

18. Katie H says

I, too, LOVE the Little House pillow and am wondering if you’d consider selling them? I’d love one for my tiny house!

19. taylore says

20. Carol says

21. Dustin says

22. Samantha says

I do not have a Silhouette machine like you. Would you be willing to make one of the words and sell it?

• Natalie Ann says

I AGREE! my parents would love that pillow- any way we can purchase it from you? you’re much more crafty than I am, it looks like a very high end pillow, I love it! :) Please let me know!!

23. StephanieB says

Was wondering if you could tell me the brand of the Walmart pillow? I’ve been looking for something like this forever! Probably won’t have them there anymore but if I can look it up it might help. Thank you!!!

24. jen says

Hi I love this and I have been searching for something like this. I was wondering can you tell me if you took off the fabric from the pillow before you stenciled it? I want to use a poem and transfer it onto a pillow for my aunt’s Birthday…If you could let me know you would save me so much!

Love your site

Thanks

Wonderful work! That is the type of information that should
    be shared around the net. Disgrace on Google for no longer
    positioning this put up upper! Come on over and consult with my website .

Your style is unique compared to other people I’ve read stuff from.
    Thanks for posting when you have the opportunity, Guess I’ll just bookmark this page.

Look at my website … credit card generator (Amos)

I almost never leave a response, however i did a few searching and wound up here Details
    about all the Pillows in my Family Room :) | Not JUST A Housewife.
    And I actually do have a few questions for you if it’s allright.
    Could it be just me or does it appear like a few of
    the responses look like written by brain dead folks?
    :-P And, if you are posting on other sites, I would like to keep up with everything new you have to post.
    Would you list of the complete urls of your social sites like your twitter feed, Facebook page or
    linkedin profile?