We Are Starting Over…..

This is not a gardening post. But bare with me for a sec because I love me a good analogy :)

I posted about the problems I had with my artichoke plants a while back. The unusually warm weather caused them to come up sooner than they were suppose to and all but 2 died. After babying them for 4 years I was devastated. I was upset because it was the weather that had caused it. The weather is obviously out of my control. And there was not much I could do about it other than start over. I found a local nursery that sold artichoke plants and planted ten more. They are tiny and they will take time to grow to the full size that my other plants were. But I did not give up. I could have said “To heck with all of this! It is too hard to grow artichokes in Utah.” Because it really is kind of hard. But I didn’t. I started over and I will try to have patience as they grow and pray for the weather to be better next year.

big and little artichokes 1024x657 We Are Starting Over.....

My husband has been laid off (for the third time) for about 4 months. I am going to share with you a little back story that is personal. . . .

When I saw my husband for the first time he was teaching a Sunday School class. I was in collage and I attended a Student ward ( congregation). I was late and sneaked in the back. There were easily over 100 people in there. I looked up and saw him and about died. He was gorgeous. I listened to him teach and was amazed. He glowed. I could tell that not only that he was well prepared but that he believed what he was teaching and he LOVED the gospel.

He has had teaching callings in our church since then and has always been able to touch so many with his caring personality and obvious enthusiasm for life and the gospel. He is a gifted teacher :)

Fast forward to the second lay off about a year ago.

We both felt like he was suppose to look into being a seminary teacher for the youth. We knew it was very hard to get a job because there are always more that want to teach than there are jobs. We half halfheartedly looked into it but never really went too far with it. I think we were both still stuck on making the architecture thing work. He had put so much hard work into his degree. And he really does love architecture.

He eventually found a job and while it was not architecture, it was drafting and similar to what he was doing before. It ended up being a horrible experience. He hated the environment and the way the company was run. It was a threaten-the-empolyees-and-withhold-bonuses-in-order-for-them-to-work-harder kinda place.  He actually got in trouble once for humming to the music. No lie. He was happy to have a job but I could see the slumped shoulders and lines on his face that the stress was causing him. When he lost that job he literally felt a weight lifted he didn’t realize he was carrying. And when he called to tell me, The VERY first thing that popped in my head was that we needed to look into the Seminary Teacher option again. But for real this time. He felt the same thing. Call it what you will, but I feel it was personal revelation and we were being lead to it.

So we are starting over. He is not giving up on architecture all together. But this economy has made it hard to have steady work in that profession. Like the weather, we can not control the economy. He has been looking for a job ( and we think he has one!!!) to get us through but he has also signed up for classes in the fall to become a seminary teacher. I have no idea if he will find a job in that line of work when he is done but I do know that we were lead to take the classes. The classes are free. So even if we don’t end up finding a teaching job for him, there really is no loss. He will gain experience and knowledge that will help him as a spouse and parent and with any callings he has in our church in the future. Who knows, maybe that is the reason he needs to take the classes, and NOT the job.

Just like I learned that things are sometimes out of my control and I need to be patient with gardening, I have learned the same lesson in life with my husband’s employment. And while I am not thrilled with the idea of a major career change in our thirties with four little kids, I know it is what needs to happen right now. And I know that even though our life is a little crazy and we are dirt poor, we can still be happy. That IS in our control.

Happy couple1 757x1024 We Are Starting Over.....

Comments

I’ve been there, and we are just coming out of it. Trust me, it WILL get better, and hubby will be so much happier doing what he loves. Sometimes we don’t understand why all the doors seem to be closing, but the Lord always opens up the right one!

Good luck!

I loved this post. We are just coming out of three years of unemployment. I have learned so many lessons in the last three years that I will never forget. This post touched me because I too had to learn patience. I knew it was the Lord’s timing for us, and that I had to learn to trust Him.

I know that you’re going to find soemthing that will fit your famiily’s needs soon. Just keep doing what you’re doing and it will work out. THanks for sharing this today…definitely something I needed to read. :-)

PS. good luck on your artichoke plants ;-)

LOVED this post. Such a great reminder that things don’t have to be perfect for us to be happy. And like you, I’ve found that the greatest way for me to feel happy and at peace with my life, even when things are in turmoil, is to recognize God’s hand in the experiences that I’m having, and to remember that everything is ultimately for our good. It’s hard not knowing exactly what direction you’re being led in, but it’s reassuring to remember that what ever place that is, God’s will is always the best for us. {Even though it doesn’t always FEEL like it’s the best!!} My prayers are with you and your husband and family. All the best to you guys.

I met your husband for the first time because I went to his Sunday School class in my parents ward and I would have to agree that he is an amazing teacher. I looked forward to going to church with my parents because of his class. He will do a fantastic job in the program and whether or not he ends up making money from it I’m sure he will do great things with what he learns. And don’t worry about starting over, we did the same thing when we moved to Alaska a year and a half ago. We’ve been really poor for about 10 years now and are just starting to get things straight financially. We have 5 kids and they are doing great in spite of our financial woes. I would say good luck but luck is not what you will be holding onto, we both know that. You’ll be in my prayers. :)

5. Holly says

Good job! And good luck, with everything! Everything will work out. I have to keep telling myself that these days. Everything will work out and Everything happens for reason, always!

I have been following your blog for a few months now and I have been so impressed with your faith and ability to look on the bright side.I was in yours and Shane’s freshman ward and I remember his teaching. He was awesome and he would make an incredible seminary teacher. My husband is a seminary teacher and one of the biggest things we learned with getting hired was that this work really is directed by the Lord. This was not the career path we were planning on at all, but we kept feeling like he needed to take the class, then he was invited to student teach, and from there he was hired. It was truly a humbling experience for us and we feel so blessed that we listened to the spirit and followed where the Lord led us. No matter what, your family will be blessed for your faith. We will definitely keep you in our prayers and we hope that things work out with seminary!!

Proud of you. Career changes are sacry and we are in the process of one ourselves….my husband is 52 and has been in a job for 14 years that is so contrary to all that we believe and he is burdened with the weight of his responsibilities. It will be interesting to see how things will change in the Seminary program with the new internet seminary that is now going into effect. This next year will be our first year with the new program. Wishing you every success if whatever the future holds.

I think a Seminary teacher would be an awesome job. I mean the employer is the BEST. And, the head of the company? He wouldn’t dream of telling you you couldn’t hum.

I love analogies, especially if they have to do with artichokes. And for some reason it seems the mid to late 30s is always the time to make a change…hence my husband’s foray into MBA school. I wish you (and your new plants) the best of luck! :)

I taught seminary (as a calling, not a paid position) for 3 years. I have to say that the men I know who were paid teachers were some of the most awesome people I know! It’s a special job, and it takes a special person!

11. Pam the Goatherd says

This post made me smile because it reminds me of my father. When he and my mother met they both wanted to go into a full-time ministry. But my father had gotten booted out of Bible college (this was back in the mid-1950s) because he kept sneaking out of his dorm to go into NYC to play his sax in a jazz band. After my parents married and just before I was born my father was offered a job as music minister at a church in Michigan. They packed up all their worldy belongings and moved so he could start his new job only to be told that it was NOT a paid position!!!! The economy in MI was horrible at that time and he couldn’t find another job even though he had experience as a grocery store manager (the job he had prior to taking the music minister job). So my parents packed all they could into a U-Haul trailer and moved in with my grandparents who had recently retired in Miami, FL. My dad finally found a job as a bookkeeper for a furniture building company and he continued to work full-time as a bookkeeper for a few different companies until he was in his mid-50s. Thoughout those years he still felt that he was supposed to be in full-time church ministry, but with a young family to support (my brother came along two years after me) he felt that he couldn’t afford to go back to college/seminary. Finally when my brother and I were both married with families of our own my Dad lost three jobs in a row within a year’s time. He finally decided that this was God’s way of telling him it was time to quit running from his calling and go to seminary. He then started a mission church and will be celebrating his 20th anniversary as pastor there this summer.
    So I wish you and your husband and family all of God’s blessings as you begin this journey together.

12. Nanalie Knotts says

Not to mention that Ren and I both told him he would make an awesome Seminary teacher, and we didnt even know this was something in the works! Its a “sign”. We love your family Stacy. Hugs to you!

Stacy,
    You are such an inspiration. Choosing to be happy when things get rough is one of life’s challenges. Best of luck to you and your family. (I look forward to meeting you at Haven!)

Best of luck to you & your family! :) Sometimes change is a very good thing!

“For I know the plans I have for you”
    Glad to hear your husband got a job. Change is never easy, even for the better. It sounds like this is a change your husband was created for!

That’s the way of thinking Stacy!! I’m proud of you, even when I only know you by your blog… and that maturity and way of thinking requires a lot of courage… and commitment, and I think you both are on the right path. Don’t lose faith in God, and remember that he doesn’t give/take us more than we can handle, so keep supporting your husband and I’m sure everything will be OK. Thanks for sharing =)

Stacy! Your attitude really is wonderful! and I am so glad you are following the guidance you have been getting!

My husband Justin’s best friend from birth (literally they have pictures of them drinking bottles together) is a seminary teacher in American Fork (or Alpine). So, when we get moved into town in July, we should all get together and you can pick their brains about what they think helped them get the job… Let me know if you are game and we can have a BBQ or something!

God is so good! In our times of deepest worries He knows what we need. He also wants to bless us with those things that will thrill our hearts. My husband is finishing his undergrad degree at the age of 51. He’s been a painting contractor for twenty some years and that business has dried up over the last few months. He is working part time at a church with the goal of being in full time worship ministry. We are not young pups but this is God’s timing. He has worked in my husband’s heart to mold and humble to be ready to receive this calling. But it’s frightening! So with you, we wait in eager anticipation for God to reveal Himself. You are a blessing!

Oh Stacy! I’m so excited for you! I know how great it feels to really feel led somewhere, and that is such a great feeling! Obviously we don’t know how our futures will play out, but it seems like you have a good outlook and good direction to go! Best of luck with BOTH — the seminary classes AND an architect job. I’m sure you’ll end up exactly where you are supposed to be!

I am so happy for both of you! And you’re not too old for career changes. A friend was an engineer at United Technologies forever. In his 40s he decided he wanted to be a physician’s assistant. His other degree must have shaved some class time off but that’s a totally different, not free, education. They lived on his wife’s salary as a teacher at a Christian school, not exactly big bucks. He’s been a PA for a few years now, much happier, and so is his wife (they’ve both been deacons in our church btw.)
    Janet

21. Karen says

You are so inspiring! I like how you have such a great attitude. It seems so hard sometimes bc we all want to keep up with the Jones’, yet we forget what is truly important. Thanks for this post; I love the analogy

I have a magnet that reads “If you want to make God laugh, make a plan.”
    Clearly, your family is being called to serve in a new way! How exciting – although scary- for you!
    Keep us posted on your journey!
    Kerry at HouseTalkN

You may not have money, but you have everything! I think you are so fortunate to have the kind of husband you do, and you look like a great family. I hope things work out well for you.

24. Rachel says

Best of luck…how frustrating for your family, especially your husband!! I admire your courage to share the journey publicly.

25. Cara Sullenger says

I’ve never commented, but love your blog! I wish you guys all the best! I loved seminary and loved all my teachers and I’m sure you guys will find joy and blessings from following that instinct! Best of luck! I know how hard it is to struggle money wise, so any bit of news is happy!

26. Teri Shelley says

Good for you! No really, we were living the dream and then the economy hit, the home, the cars the “dream” gone. We are starting over too! Keep praying and I’ll pray for you too :)

I wish you and your husband the best! Dealing with layoffs is never easy, but I am glad to see that you guys can find the positive in it. If you are interested in moving, Houston is a great place and ever expanding!!! It seems like the best kept secret as the downturn in the economy has barely affected us down here. Good luck with everything!

I love your attitude and I hope this works out for your family. It sounds like being a Seminary teacher would be perfect for your husband. I need to hang out with you more. I’ve had a poor attitude and need an adjustment. I’m trying to just be happy and grateful for the positive things in my life right now. We know what it feels like to start over (twice) but it’s never easy. I think you’re amazing! Good things will come your way!

Stacy, I have such respect for the both of you.
    I was a seminary teacher for about two years and I learned a lot, more that I can say. You are such an inspiration for so many people, including me…♥
    Thank you for sharing a piece of your heart with all of us!

I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. I feel like my husband and I have been in your position before. It so sucks during the hard times but when it is over, and you are able to look back, you will realize that you couldn’t be where you are today if things hadn’t happened the way they did. It makes us all stronger and better people!! I applaude you guys for following your dreams….there is nothing better!! Best wishes!

Maggie

When we were younger, my husband would never say what he wanted for his career. At first it bugged me because he wasn’t being “goal oriented”. But, I trusted him because he is incredibly hardworking and driven. Now, after almost 12 years of marriage, he is a school counselor and working on his principal-ship. We really feel like the Lord has guided him into this profession. He told me the other day that he never wanted to plan his career because he knew that if he did, he would be so focused on his plan that he would leave no room for the Lord to direct his life.

Congrats on things changing! How exciting!! One of my dear friend’s husband just got hired as a Seminary teacher. They own and house and have 4 small children. Now, they are packing up and trying to sell their house to get to Utah where he was assigned. It’s been fun and exciting to watch them go through the process! Good luck with everything!!!

We live in Georgia and my husband teaches Seminary in our home. It has been such a huge blessing to our family the past 2.5 years. He has a full time job and doesn’t get paid for teaching Seminary but, he loves it and our family has been blessed! For several years things were stressful with finances partly due to our own choices but, we just couldn’t seem to get ahead. Last year we focused on our church callings and doing what’s right and it has all worked itself out. The Lord works in mysterious ways when you listen to the promptings and have faith in him the blessings come. Easier said then done sometimes:) Good luck with your Artichokes and job hunt!

Sometimes it takes difficult circumstances to make us realize our “secure” path of architect may work more less than the “crazy” job of seminary teacher! My hubs and I started over two years ago- going back to school at BYU MBA. We have never been happier- because it put us in line with that Heavenly Father had in store for EACH of us!
    Best of luck to you guys!!
    xo Becca

Life doesn’t always turn out the way that we expect but it always turns out the way that it’s supposed to. If I’ve learned anything over my lifetime that’s worthy of sharing it’s that the answers to our prayers aren’t always what we expect but if we listen, they are always exactly what we need. You are in my thoughts as you begin this new journey. Know that you’re never alone. As for the artichokes…put a little mulch around them to help hold the moisture, give them a nice drink of water and watch over them….I”m confident that they, too, will grow and blossom. The “good stuff” is always worth waiting for! xo

35. Clara says

Stacy – what a wonderful post! Is there any wonder why you two chose each other! Although it’s hard to see your children struggling through trials, it is such a blessing to see them supporting each other, striving to make good choices, and standing firm in their faith in God and in whatever he has in store for them. It is through those stretching times that we can grow stronger, draw closer as a couple, and the love, trust, and commitment to each other grows deeper. When a door closes, a better one opens. Being patient for that better door to open can be challenging. And sometimes we need to step out into the darkness and exercise faith in the Lord and his timing for the blessings to come. Thank you both for being such good examples and keeping such positive attitudes. The Lord loves you both and will continue to bless you in whatever direction he has in store for you.

God will bless you in incredible ways when you are obedient to Him. There is way more to life than money and security. Cling to Him! Remember Moses didn’t begin his ministry until he was 80. 30 is nothing!~

37. Elizabeth H says

Just now reading this. Awesome. You and hubby are a great couple. Doors close and doors open. God Bless You both and your family. Love, love your blog.

38. Mel says

Hi Stacy,
    My heart and prayers go out to you and your family. The story of how you met your husband is so similar to mine. There’s nothing more attractive than a man who is in love with God! God will provide for you. I will be praying!

39. Maureen says

God bless you both through this new stage of life. God will use it for good one way or another, just TRUST Him! I am praying for you that things will improve financially and emotionally.

Awwww, your family is blessed beyond measure! Never forget.
    You are a great “helper suitable” to your husband as well.

I too learned this lesson years ago, shortly after my husband and I got married. We were both high-wage earners and lived in what I call “the big house” (2400 sq ft, 5 bd/3 ba house w/travertine tile throughout, granite counters in kitchen, stainless steel appliances, salt-water pool in the backyard w/waterfall & jacuzzi – all the bells and whistles). I had a son from a previous relationship, who was 10 when my husband and I got married. I wasn’t planning on having any more children – I had a difficult pregnancy & labor, it was really challenging being a single mom, and I wasn’t sure I wanted to start all over again. However, I remember a comment my husband made about his sister and family who were “dirt poor”. He said that they were truly rich (as they had 4 children). Fast forward a few years…I no longer work in SW Sales, we live in a modest 1200 sq. ft 3 bd house, and we have 3 additional children. We are blessed beyond measure.

Hi Stacy! I loved reading your posts. I appreciate your transparency. Our ways are not His ways. I’ve been where you are. God is so amazing and faithful. God bless your family as you find His ways! I’m going to be at Haven too! It would be nice to meet you.
    Blessings,
    Lori

My heart and prayers are with you and hubby as you continue to see God’s ultimate will for your lives. It’s inspiring to see that despite the obstacles in your way, your trust in Him remains your utmost priority. No doubt, God has great things in store for you and your family as you continue to put Him at the head of your home. Please keep us updated on the things God is teaching you as you walk this journey,not alone, but with untold numbers of blog follwers,friends and family who are all learning from your faith and perseverance. What a wonderful way to pay it forward..the good and the not so good.