What do Home Depot and Kermit the Frog have in Common???

I know, that sounds like a joke that my four year old would have made up. But do you know the answer???

home depot kermit What do Home Depot and Kermit the Frog have in Common???

They are both

green 1024x479 What do Home Depot and Kermit the Frog have in Common???

Kermit in the past has sung about how it ain’t easy being green. But Home Depot tells us that it is.

I am working with Home Depot to help Promote their Save Green, Live Green campaign.

save green live green 1024x360 What do Home Depot and Kermit the Frog have in Common???

They sent me a kit to do a Home Energy Audit.

live green save green 1024x817 What do Home Depot and Kermit the Frog have in Common???

It helps you see what you need to do to make your home even more efficient. Even if your home is new there are things you can do. If you want to do an energy audit you can go to their site and answer the questions to see what you need to do for your home. And with WINTER coming now is the best time!

My husband and I have tried hard along the way to do things that would make our home more energy efficient. Our home was built in 1938 and pretty much everything was original. Which meant that winter time was COLD. And our bill was HUGE. Over the last 4 years we have replaced the 35+ year heater, got new windows and doors, replaced all the light bulbs, got a new toilet for the upstairs bathroom, new faucets, new appliances, added insulation to the attic, and replaced our thermostat. But you know what? There were things we found by doing the audit that we still needed to do!

So we headed to Home Depot to have a look around.

home depot shopping cart 1024x819 What do Home Depot and Kermit the Frog have in Common???I took all the information and a list of what I thought I would need. Then we looked at brands and all the options.

home depot shopping 1024x682 What do Home Depot and Kermit the Frog have in Common???

The area we needed to focus the most on for our home was water conservation. When shopping look for this:

water sense logo What do Home Depot and Kermit the Frog have in Common???waterpic shower head 756x1024 What do Home Depot and Kermit the Frog have in Common???You will see it on the products and/or on the price tags. They will also be shown when shopping online. But you KNOW you want to go to the actual store. So you can check out the merchandise in person. . . .

LG washer dryer 1024x739 What do Home Depot and Kermit the Frog have in Common???You know, test it out ;)

I totally learned something new while I was there. A cute lady who was helping us out showed us the washer and dryers. On the washer, the sticker (the one my hubby cut off when taking the shot) says that by using the cold water option you save 82% on energy!!!!!!! And then I learned that the regular washers use 41 gallons per load and that front load washers only use 28!!! (EPA Website).   That is 13 gallons per load of water that you would save by having a front loader!

So I looked around and found a front load washer that also had the cold water option.

LG waher dryer cloud What do Home Depot and Kermit the Frog have in Common???You know when you see something beautiful and its like the heavens open up and angles sing “Aaaaaaaa!” Some of you might feel that way about shoes or designer bags. I felt that special feeling when I saw this stunning LG washer and dryer. Made my heart go pitter pat :)

Totally going on my wish list! I might actually do laundry if I had them. Remember this note from the hubs, facebook fans? Apparently I need a little push….

laundry note 682x1024 What do Home Depot and Kermit the Frog have in Common???(FYI My hubby does way more laundry than I do)

We also need a new toilet for the basement bathroom. But if your toilet is in pretty good shape but isn’t very good on water usage, do you know what they have?

For a little less than $20 you can get this Hydroright Drop-in Dual Flush Converter.

water saving converter flush What do Home Depot and Kermit the Frog have in Common???

It doesn’t require any tools and can be installed in about 10 minutes. It reduces water usage by 30%!

Also keep and eye out for this symbol.

Energy Star logo svg What do Home Depot and Kermit the Frog have in Common???

Replacing furnace filters, putting a blanket on your water heater, weather stripping, and replacing faucets, and upgrading your light bulbs are all things you can do to help. Home Depot has over 3,600 ECO friendly products!!!

Doing a bunch of little things like that can make a big difference!

So what all did I get for our house??? I will post in a couple of days (hopefully) when I get them here and can give you a peek!

Go do your audit! Because (unfortunately) winter is almost here. And socks and hot chocolate only go so far.

Comments

We need to do an energy audit. I’m guessing we could use some more insulation, because our heating bills are outrageous. Love that pic of you on the washer/dryer! What a riot! I bet you got a couple of stares at the store. Too funny! Thanks for sharing.

GREAT Post Stacy ! How did you know…I am in need of this post ..I have to make Mr G read it ! we need a new washing machine. It only will only use hot water now..something going on with the cold water line or something…we also need a new front door this one is so badly warped from too much sun on it all the time. and we need to paint all the wood trim and shutters…lots of big things to do. I think he is waiting till he wins the lottery or something I say “or something” too much.
    Thanks for the info

- KAT -

• Pam the Goatherd says

Kat, sounds like you need a new inlet valve for your washer. That’s a relatively inexpensive fix.

Love Home Depot and I love that they offer so many GREEN options! Heck, if I’m going there for paint I love knowing that I don’t have to go to a different retail store to find greener options! One stop shop!

4. Nanalie Knotts says

Stacy…this is so good to know that there is a place to evaluate our home and make it more efficiant. Thanks for posting about Home Depot, and their Save Green, Live Green website.
    I know my house could use some help. When I stand on the porch to unlock my door, I can feel cool air coming from around the door. I know the heat will escape the same way!

5. Jill Strauss says

I had no idea Home Depot did such a thing… I keep complaining about how much winter is costing me. Thanks for spreading the word Stacy… it’s time I headed to the Depot myself! I mean, who doesn’t want a green winter? ;)

6. Joanna says

Just did my audit! Thanks for the link. Lost of good advice. You’re video was the best by the way. Totally cracked me up!

I have been working on making my house more energy efficient over the last 7 years also. I replaced all the windows and doors and, added more insulation to the attic. One thing I discovered when I demolished both of the bathrooms was that there was ecomony insulation in the walls – meaning 1 1/2″! No wonder the walls are cold in the winter. The air drafts were reduced when the house had thermal wrap put on it before the new siding went on 3 sides of the house, but the only way to add more insulation to the walls is to rip out the dry wall. That is not going to happen. I am going to check out the energy audit and see what else I can do.

8. Donace says

Thanks for the post. I didn’t know Home Depot did such a thing. I’ll have to do it. I know my house could use some help too!!

9. Brinda says

Good to know, since my heater was officially turned on today for the first time this season ! Love Home Depot!

10. Jacquie says

It’s so cool that everything I need is always in this one store…saves a lot of time, energy & frustration!!

I loved this post and I love Home Depot! I prefer to shop there over other home improvement stores because 1.) I always can find what I need for an awesome price and 2.) they offer military service members and their families a discount which I appreciate so much!!! I’m so glad you are working with them Stacy! I also had no idea they offered this kind of service, so yet another check mark in the awesome box for Home Depot!

12. Kriste says

We really need to add some insulation in our attic, and get new windows, and a new roof. We will definitely be heading to Home Depot as soon as we have a few more pennies…

Love all of those great ideas! I would love to have a front load washer, but I guess I just have to wait until my current one isn’t able to do laundry anymore.. It would just be hard to justify the cost. BUT, that drop-in toilet thingy looks interesting, too, and easy!

It’s amazing how much water you can save with a few little updates.

14. Jenn says

I love the drop in water reducer and I may go and get one for my bathroom. I am so glad that you recommended this! I am also excited to see you and The Home Depot together, such a great team. You give me great ideas and The Home Depot has all the supplies I need to get my projects done. Thanks for the tips!

15. Pam the Goatherd says

I hate to burst your bubble, but you might want to rethink your choice of washer/dryer brand and pick one that repair parts are more readily available for. My husband is an appliance servicer and he refuses to work on that brand because parts needed to repair them are very hard to come by and must be shipped from Korea. There are American built machines that are also very energy efficient and if/when they break (as inevitably they will) you will be able to have the new parts to repair it within a matter of 24 hours rather than waiting for the next cargo shipment across the ocean.

16. Emily says

Great information! Trying to save energy in our old house has been on my mind and like so many others, I’ve often thought, “where do I even start?” Thanks for teaming up with my home away from home, Home Depot, and pointing me in the right direction!

I owe that washer and dryer and LOVE them. I swear my clothes have never been more clean. We actually got them at Home Depot too. :)
    As for actually using them…well it seems I need help in that area too. I swear with three little ones it’s hard to find the time. :)