Wood Block Picture Collage

I have been working on changing my hallway decor this weekend. I painted over the blue and white. My boys and my mom were sad to see it go even though I reminded them it would make a re-appearance in the downstairs. I painted it and tan color called Almond. I actually took Krylon’s Almond spray paint and had it color matched at Home Depot. I did that because my pantry that is in the hall is painted that color.

This is the first of three projects I did in the hall.  There are three walls that are big enough to have decorations. This one is hard to put things on because of the dang thermostat.

Remember those pictures I took while up the canyon with my family? Well, here they are!!! I mounted them to blocks of wood that were all different thicknesses. I used scrap wood from my garage. Some was plywood, some were old fence posts, and some were old shelving.

It is so hard to tell how it really looks in these pictures. But since they are all  on wood that are all different thicknesses they all stick out from the wall differently. It really is a cool effect in person.

I have never really decoupaged anything. (GASP!) I know. Shocking.  Everyone in blogland has I am sure. So it was just a matter of time before I tried it, right?

I used this Decoupage from Deco Art. I had so much fun I might just have to come up with another project to use this stuff  :)

The thicker, heavier pictures got these saw tooth picture hanger nailed to the back.

And the smaller ones I just used putty. They were so lightweight that I didn’t think it warranted a picture hanger. I LOVE this stuff!

Picture hanging tip: I use small pieces of it on the bottom corners of all my picture frames to keep them straight.

(Source: Google images)

Before anyone kindly points it out, I know that some of these are not level. I hurried and took pictures because my camera battery was dying. I uploaded them to edit them and noticed right away. I tried to take new ones but the battery was dead.

I usually live with an arrangement for awhile anyway and tweak it here and there.  I may even add one more picture. Who knows :)

I am hoping to get the rest of my nature inspired projects done this week so I can show you the whole hallway.

Pin It

Nice job, Stacy. Pretty and different. I hope it comforts you to know that I’ve never decoupaged in my life! But seeing your project may change that.

Wow! What a great idea to decoupage photographs on wood! Nice arrangement for the thermostat area too! I love how you share your home with us in your blog and was excited to see you in BH&G!

I used the original prints. Since I had never used decoupage I was worried that it would messup the photo like when a photo gets wet, but it didn’t at all. That stuff is magic :)

that’s a really cool idea. I have a hallway that needs decor. It’s a blank slate right now. Any ideas? I’m serious! I can send you an email with pictures of my blank hallway if you’re willing to help me!

Oh wow! Those are really pretty. That is such a great idea. My daughter has taken some way cool pictures with my camera and I had no idea what to do with them. I think I might do this for her as a birthday present! Thanks for sharing!

The blue putty is a great idea. I have been using scotch tape, rolled sticky side out, to do the same thing. Can’t stand crooked pictures on the wall!

I am so inspired right now! where we live in the mountains there are a lot of barns with a large, single block, quilt pattern painted on them. I’ve been dying to take pictures of these barns to decorate our house with. my problem is I don’t really want a “country” look to the house but framing the pictures looks too modern. Enter your beautiful idea with the wood pieces! LOVE IT!
    BTW I have never decoupaged before either but I’m willing to try it :) any tips with working with it that you think would be helpful?

So you aren’t missing the blue and white? I know sometimes you just need a change…. looks like your first decoupage project turned out great!

8. Kimi says

What a great idea! I’d like to try this too. What kind of paper did you use, photo quality? I just came across your site and I love it – your creativity is very inspirational.

9. Mitch says

Hey, I tried the wood pictures and my picture came out choppy, distorted, and even colored… There were reds and greens in there when the picture was B&W. Also, when I was scrubbing off the paper – a lot of the ink started to come off too… Any suggestions?