GIANT S’more Cake

I originally posted this on my other blog The Birthday Blog back in September when Ihad just barely launched my blogs.  Since it is now camping season I thought it would be fun to share this super fun cake!

My niece wanted to go up the canyon for a BBQ for her 10th Birthday. So I surprised her with a giant s’more cake!

smore8 GIANT Smore Cake

Here is how I made it:

I chose to use actual chocolate for the s’more. If you don’t want to deal with melting it down and everything, you could also use chocolate frosting.
I melted a large bag (24 oz) of chocolate chips. I put them in a bowl and microwaved them for 30 seconds. stirred, and then 10 more seconds. There will be some chunks and that is good. Keep stirring until it is smooth and then pour it into a pan lined with wax paper. Let it set up. It may take several hours. After it hardens if it has streaks use this trick I learned from the food network. Get a dry rag and “buff” the chocolate. The streaking is usually only on the surface and you can lessen the streaks by doing this.

smore3 GIANT Smore Cake
smore4 GIANT Smore Cake

I came up with a homemade graham cracker recipe.
2 sticks of butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
Cream these together and then add
2 tsp baking soda
4 cups flour
4 tablespoons water
chill for 30 minutes before rolling out
This dough is so yummy! And since it doesn’t have raw egg it is safe to eat. It tastes like cookie dough :)

smore5 GIANT Smore Cake

I cut mine to be about 9 inches by 10 inches. You can use an 81/2 x 11 piece of paper as a guide if you are worried about it being straight.

smore6 GIANT Smore Cake

I used the flat end of a wood skewer (kabob stick) to make that pattern like on a real graham cracker.

smore2 GIANT Smore Cake

Bake each cracker for 15 minutes each at 375 degrees.  This way they will be hard enough to hold their shape and crunchy like a cracker. If you want it softer (like a sugar cookie) bake it for less time.

smore7 GIANT Smore Cake
I made one round cake and frosted it with white frosting. If you are feeding a lot of people and want more cake, make 2 round cakes and stack them. It would be yummy to put marshmallow cream  in between the cakes!
smore8 GIANT Smore CakeThank you for all the support with my blog. Thank you for sharing it with others, stumbling my posts, and posting on FB. I see a difference :) THANK YOU.

Comments

This is such a fun idea Stacy! I bet the homemade graham crackers would be yummy just on their own. I’ll have to try this one! :)

Oh that’s fabulous! I’ve never heard of homemade graham crackers before! Thanks so much for sharing and I’ll be thinking of you and your hubby!

Oh my gosh. That is THE coolest thing I have ever seen. You are amazing Stacy! I know exactly how you feel about your husband/situation. When we went through it, it was SO hard. I’ve been praying for you. Being laid off is never easy. GOOD LUCK!

so sorry to hear about shane’s layoff! DANG IT! can i feature this cake on my blog? it is SO incredibly AWESOME! i don’t get near the traffic you do, but i’ll try and push people your way :)
    PLEASE let me/us know if there is anything else i/we can do to help! love you guys!

So cute! I think I can make a gluten free version of this :)
    And sorry to hear about your husband. Sending lots of good thoughts that he finds work again soon!!

i am surely making this cake!!! i just looked at someone’s blog whose entire post was about smores and now i want a moon pie more than ever!

Oh my gosh! This is the neatest thing I think I’ve seen! Wow! You are so talented! I have been a follower for a while and would absolutely love it if you stopped by my blog , take a look around and if you like it become my newest follower! Thank you so much! I LOVE your blog!

WOW! i am really impressed that is so cool and intense! smores just mean summer and camping and family and friends to me so nothing is better than a giant smore!!

10. Th' Bear says

I have my youngest son’s Blue and Gold dinner this Saturday and I was bouncing around cake ideas. Then this thought hit me, A S’MORE!!! Low and behold, I find your idea here and I’m proud to say there is someone out there who thought of it first. I’m definitely making it up. I was struggling with how to make the graham cracker. I was going to use a shortbread recipe but was worried about it being too hard. Your idea is beautiful. :)

11. Juli "Something Quite Domestic" says

Thanks so much for sharing this idea! I loved the homemade graham crackers! I used this idea to make a giant S’more cake for my daughter’s first birthday cake. Here’s the post for how I made the cake: http://somethingquitedomestic.blogspot.com/2013/06/smore-cake.html
    I’ll post a link to her birthday party when I finish the post. The cake went along so well with the theme.

Thanks again for the fun idea!

Googled “camping birthday party cake” and came across a different blog with a link to your giant smores cake. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it and your directions seem easy to follow. My daughter’s birthday party is next week and I’m going to attempt to make your cake for it!

13. Rebecca Jackson says

I just found your s’mores cake and am going to use your idea to make my son a cake for the first day of school. All summer long he has enjoyed s’mores and I think this would be a great way to say goodbye to summer and hello to kindergarten. Thanks for the great post, it is simply amazing.

14. Amber says

I made this for my daughter’s birthday a couple years ago and she loved it! And recently my best friend says she’s been dreaming about a cake I made. It was this one! I’m going to make this for her birthday coming up here shortly. Thank you so so so so so much for this recipe! :)

15. Emily says

Thank you for sharing this!! I made the smore’s cake for my son’s bday this year. He LOVED it!!! Everyone else enjoyed it as well. The homemade graham cracker was really good. I ended up doing just a thin layer of chocolate cake/icing for the Hershey’s part! I ran out of time to melt the chocolate. BUT this recipe is definitely one I will use again :-) thanks again.