Felt Face Activity

face1 Felt Face Activity

This time of year traditionally means a lot of travel. We love to visit family for Thanksgiving and Christmas but that means a lot of time is spent in the van. Even though we have TVs for the kids to watch movies, they get bored with that after a while. I always pack books and other things to give them a variety of activities. I just made some FELT FACES to add to our stash of travel activities!
 Here is what you will need:

Scissors, card stock paper, pencil, felt

You can get variety packs of felt in different colors for just a few dollars per pack. In other words, this is one CHEAP activity to make :)

face1 Felt Face Activity

*Draw a basic face shape, eyes, a few different noses, ears, some mouths, eyebrows, accessories like bows and flowers, maybe some glasses. I wait until I have cut out the face shape before I draw the hair. Then they will match up.

face2 Felt Face Activity

*Cut them out and then trace them onto the felt. Cut the felt pieces out and your done! I am sure you probably have sharper scissors than me. It took me a little longer that it should since (thanks to my boys) my scissors are not as sharp as they should be. My boys are constantly taking them to cut weeds in the yard, play Barber shop, trim the trees, cut the handles off my church bag, and cut water bottles in half. I guess a fascination with cutting things is better than a fascination with fire. At least that is what I tell myself every time I grab my “new” scissors and they are dull. So, this really is an easy project if you have good scissors. Just put the kids to bed and watch a show while you cut and you’ll be done in no time!

face6 1 Felt Face Activity
face1 1 Felt Face Activity
More tips:
*I have four boys so I didn’t focus on the girls as much. You could go all out with fun girly things like earrings, girly glasses, more hair options, etc. I made my first set for a friend 7 years ago and made hair that had two pony tails. The sky is the limit!
*I store mine in a gallon sized ziplock baggie. They are great to stick in your purse and have for church, Doctor’s offices, etc.
*I save the pieces I cut out of paper (the “pattern”) and the scraps of felt and put them in a folder in my filing cabinet. That way if we loose an ear or mouth I can quickly make a replacement.
* Make them to look like your family members complete with Grandma and Grandpa. I was going to make some Grandpa hair but I didn’t have any grey felt.
* Make some hats. A cowboy hat, fireman, etc. Or even an eye patch and bandanna. Then the people can play dress up!

Comments

1. ellie g says

I LOVE this! LOVE! Such a great way to waste hours of time for kids. (and super cheap for Mom) I'm mentally noting this one for sure! Thanks!

2. Stacy says

Felt sticks to felt naturally so you don't need anything on the back. I forgot to mention that you could also cut out a square and they can make the face on the square of felt so it doesn't fall off their lap.

3. Kim @ seven thirty three says

This is great. I am going to have to add this as one of my quiet book pages!

Thanks for linking with What little boys are made of.

4. Stacy Family says

Thanks Stacy! New to this felt stuff. Going on a 11 hour car trip for Thanksgiving and this is perfect for my girls!!

5. Student of Scripture says

Great gift idea for my nieces and nephews for Christmas! We will have a large gathering this year from newborn to my oldest who's 17. I think even the parents will have fun with this one! Like updated paperdolls!

Love it!

6. jennoreilly says

this is a great idea! I love the idea of making them look like family members, I think my kids would get a big kick out of that!

7. Dave'sWife@{thediaryofdaveswife} says

We had a quiet book just like this when we were kids! I L♥VE your version! I need to make one now for my son!

8. Jessica says

These are adorable! I love all the faces you came up with. The glasses and bows are way cute. I just made a travel felt mat for my daughter and need to make some faces for her to use with it. Thanks so much for sharing! I will for sure be making some of these faces for our felt mat.

justenoughstyle.blogspot.com

9. www.takens-tidbits.blogspot.com says

I'm def. going to make this for a last minute Christmas gift. I think I'm going cover a piece of paneling with felt too then glue a bag to the back of it to keep all the pieces in. Then they have a 'canvas' to create with and everything attached!

10. Nathalie says

I love the faces. I’m working on my first quiet book now. Any chance you’re sharing the template?
    Thanks!!
    Nathalie

11. Andrea says

I love this and want to make it ASAP but I have no drawing skills. Any chance you would share your patterns?

12. Pei Lin says

This is such a great idea, I love it!! However, my skill of drawing is so bad, would it be possible to share your templete please? Thank you .

13. tonilea says

Love your idea! I see some people asked if you have a pattern or template available for the faces. If you do, would you mind sending me a link? I want to make these for my grandsons.
    Thanks
    tonilea

Sadly I do not have a pattern. This was one of my first posts when I first started blogging and I didn’r realize you could make and share a pattern online. I also didn’t think my blog would reach beyond friends and family :) I am so sorry!