Painted fabric

bedroom2redo Painted fabric I had in mind the type of fabric I wanted to make a pillow out of but I couldn’t find a paisley in the right color. I am the type that once I get a specific idea of what I want, I won’t settle until I can find it. And if I can’t find it, I make it. I used a fabric paint medium which you can find at any craft store with the small bottles of acrylic paint. You add the medium to the paint you want to use. This makes it so that the paint won’t be stiff when it dries on the fabric. I used the paint that I painted my accent wall (that you can’t see in the picture) that matches the bedding. I started by lightly penciling on the paisley design. I free handed this design but you could use a stencil too.Then I used a tiny paint brush to paint it on. You need to heat set it, so I ironed mine. You can also throw it in the dryer for a while. I washed the fabric before I sewed the pillow so the pencil marks that were still showing would come out and to soften it up. I think it turned out pretty good!
bedroomredo Painted fabric

Comments

1. Sourkraut says

You free handed that?! That is crazy good! Love the colors and the design. Spotted you at The Shabby Chic Cottage and I'm now a follower.

2. Santa's Gift Shoppe and Ideas says

Absolutely Fantastic..Great job!! I am from Women..Tools..I’m Barb…I am your newest follower. I hope you will get a chance to visit my blog @ santasgiftshoppe.blogspot.com
    & get inspired by something for your family/home. I hope you will follow me as well. I also would love for you to be a new Fan of my Facebook page too & click “LIKE” in the upper right hand corner of my blog & you’ve done it..Thanks so much! I am just starting at Facebook. Nice to meet ya new friend!!!

3. Amanda@The Hand Me Down House says

That is SO cute, Stacy!! I'm the same way — if I can't find, I make it. :) Great job! It turned out wonderful!

4. Stephanie says

Love the idea! Thanks for letting us know about adding the paint medium, that is a great tip. It looks so professional and just like a printed fabric!

5. LambAround says

I can't believe you painted that! If you have a free moment, I have a new weekly (I hope!) Linky on my blog called Not “Baaad” Sundays with LambAround. I’d love for you to post this :)

6. Diane at Perfectly Imperfect Life says

That is so cool! I can't believe you free-handed that!

I appreciate that you made that when you couldn't find what you wanted. I'm also the type that gets an idea in her head and then can't let go. Only, if I don't find what I want, it often just doesn't happen.

7. Sharon@thisthriftyhouse says

What a beautiful job! I could never free hand anything so great though! I am one of those that would definately need a stencil!

8. Jenni says

Oh, that is a gorgeous pillow, and I think my jaw dropped to the floor when I read that you free handed the design! That is simply amazing! You did such a wonderful job! :)

9. Krystal says

I can't believe you painted that by hand. Completely amazing. I'm like you and get specific ideas in my head and it drives me crazy when I can't find it. This is great!